• How has the weather been in your neck of the woods?
    We are looking for feedback from our membership to see how/what the weather has been like in your area. Please Click here to take our Winter Weather Survey, we would appreciate it.

Bobcat Mini skid steer questions (sharing attachments with full size)

UCF

LawnSite Member
I currently have a full size skid steer and recently I've had enough business that the machine is running full time and not really completely keeping up with the work. I was looking at a second skid steer, but then saw MT100 and it intrigued me, especially based on what the salesmen said it can do, but I'm having trouble finding anyone using it quite the way he said, so I wanted to see if anyone can confirm it.

I currently own a bunch of attachments for the skid steer, including an auger, fronthoe, sweeper, forks, etc... he said that as long as the top attachment lip goes all the way across the top, which nearly all of my attachments do, I can connect it to the MT100 and the pins on the bottom are in the identical position. When I test drove it on their lot, I did confirm I could physically connect, for example, the forks to both the standard machine and mini.

The part he claimed, but I'm not really able to test, is that the attachments actually work fine with the mini. Does anyone use the same attachments or attachments such as the auger from a full size machine on the MT100? Is there anything I should note about sharing attachments between the two machines? I do understand that the attachments made directly for the minis are smaller and thus lighter, but my attachments seem to all be within the operating weight of the mini.

BrandonV

LawnSite Fanatic
Nope. Auger may work with a smaller bit. We have a 50” one for trees- it’s too big for a mini but the smaller 36” works fine. Trencher probably will be too big, hoe probably too big, forks will work but will be so heavy you’ll loose capacity. Bucket will work for mulch but not soil etc.

OP
U

UCF

LawnSite Member
He did explain the weight limitations and I no doubt understand the machine has roughly 1/3rd the power of the large machine, so if I'm dealing with tough ground or heavier stuff, I'm gonna wanna use the full size, but the attachments are typically all physically usable, perhaps with some reduced power?

I don't plan to replace the larger machine on the site, this is to supplement it. I'm hoping to move things like digging 6" holes for the fence posts with the auger to the mini... the largest bit I have is 24"...

I wanted to perhaps move around pallets of sod while they're being laid in a yard, etc... I imagine the mini will also come in handy for a variety of other things such as being able to grade inside of porches and next to houses where the full size machine can't fit. The front hoe I have is about 400 lbs and says it requires 11gpm to operate. So my question is generally for my lighter duty operation of the attachments, is it adequate and functional? You started nope then your description kinda sounds like yeah, for light duty usage, is my understanding correct? And the attachments do physically all hook up?

BrandonV

LawnSite Fanatic
They’ll physically hook up. I have an adapter for our ditch witch 1550 to do the same. And GPM I don’t think will be an issue it isn’t with our auger. Don’t count on using the skid forks get a set of lightweight ones for the mini.

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
If you’re trying to use the same attachments just more often or at the same time in different places
a mini isn’t what you want

Hayduke

LawnSite Senior Member
We swap the forks and small bucket back and forth between an MT 55 and S 70 with no problem. But those are pretty small machines compared to what you've got

OP
U

UCF

LawnSite Member
If you’re trying to use the same attachments just more often or at the same time in different places
a mini isn’t what you want
To give a bit of background of what these machines are used for, I have a contract in a new construction subdivision to do all of the exterior landscaping/hardscaping services for the developer/builders... so I do the rough grade, sidewalk/driveway installs as concrete/pavers, final grade, irrigation installs, landscape plant installs, sod installs, fence installs, etc... moving pallets of materials around, etc. I have a full time guy who operates the machine, but lately, I've been having to go in every Saturday to try to get some work done to keep up.

The machine and all the attachments typically never leave the site. I was originally thinking about a second full size skid but I think in the near term its only looking like it will get used a few hours a week without adding any new functionality, so after seeing the mini, I realized its small size could allow some other things that are being done by hand to be done more efficiently... but at the same time, I need to move at least a few hours of work off of the full size machine to make it work, and I don't want to duplicate a bunch of attachments and have more stuff to keep track of.

So to summarize, I'm trying to use the attachments I have a bit more often, but all in the same exact place. The individual attachments (outside the bucket, which I planned to get for the mini) aren't being used a ton of hours each week as it is, the bulk of the work is grading.

So it sounds like I'm ok on the auger and front hoe from the full size machine on the mini. I probably should get a set of forks for it. Any other advice?

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
To give a bit of background of what these machines are used for, I have a contract in a new construction subdivision to do all of the exterior landscaping/hardscaping services for the developer/builders... so I do the rough grade, sidewalk/driveway installs as concrete/pavers, final grade, irrigation installs, landscape plant installs, sod installs, fence installs, etc... moving pallets of materials around, etc. I have a full time guy who operates the machine, but lately, I've been having to go in every Saturday to try to get some work done to keep up.

The machine and all the attachments typically never leave the site. I was originally thinking about a second full size skid but I think in the near term its only looking like it will get used a few hours a week without adding any new functionality, so after seeing the mini, I realized its small size could allow some other things that are being done by hand to be done more efficiently... but at the same time, I need to move at least a few hours of work off of the full size machine to make it work, and I don't want to duplicate a bunch of attachments and have more stuff to keep track of.

So to summarize, I'm trying to use the attachments I have a bit more often, but all in the same exact place. The individual attachments (outside the bucket, which I planned to get for the mini) aren't being used a ton of hours each week as it is, the bulk of the work is grading.

So it sounds like I'm ok on the auger and front hoe from the full size machine on the mini. I probably should get a set of forks for it. Any other advice?
Have you seen the new bobcat mini loaders (l23 and l28?)
Travel speed is slow on the track minis
It takes a long time to move materials from front to back with those minis
More often than not, I can out produce the mt with wheelbarrows

the mini loaders are actually a big cheaper than the mini skids (for some reason)

OP
U

UCF

LawnSite Member
Have you seen the new bobcat mini loaders (l23 and l28?)
Travel speed is slow on the track minis
It takes a long time to move materials from front to back with those minis
More often than not, I can out produce the mt with wheelbarrows

the mini loaders are actually a big cheaper than the mini skids (for some reason)
Interesting, I didn't look at them yet. They take the same mini attachments or the full size ones?

One issue that we've been handling by hand with a wheelbarrow and shovels is between the houses in some areas is only 6 feet apart, and when the slabs are poured that close, they usually end up digging the footers from both houses into that 6 foot area so a TON of dirt needs to be carried out by hand. Thats a big reason I was considering the mini. Its a bit disheartening to hear you think its faster to take it out by hand?

Those mini loaders are a bit wider, so its hard to tell how well they'll fit, especially with the way they move for the turns. The mini seems fairly obviously it will fit and work well within those 6 ft areas that are sometimes a little narrowed if there is meters on both houses sticking out.

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
Interesting, I didn't look at them yet. They take the same mini attachments or the full size ones?

One issue that we've been handling by hand with a wheelbarrow and shovels is between the houses in some areas is only 6 feet apart, and when the slabs are poured that close, they usually end up digging the footers from both houses into that 6 foot area so a TON of dirt needs to be carried out by hand. Thats a big reason I was considering the mini. Its a bit disheartening to hear you think its faster to take it out by hand?

Those mini loaders are a bit wider, so its hard to tell how well they'll fit, especially with the way they move for the turns. The mini seems fairly obviously it will fit and work well within those 6 ft areas that are sometimes a little narrowed if there is meters on both houses sticking out.
No
The mini loaders are not wider

it’s the reason we bought one
For exactly the reason you stated
Tight areas between houses

the tracked mini skidsteers are slow
So we end up putting two wheel barrows together and loading them with the mini skid and running the wheel barrows.

the ground speed and cycle times for the mini skidsteer are just too slow for moving bulk material.
Furthermore the mini skidsteer has a crappy tipping height
You can barely load a pick up truck with it

the L28 articulating mini loader we bought with an extendable boom will load a full size dump truck if necessary (we tested it already) and loads medium duties (5 tons) with ease.
Not possible with a mt50/85/100

plus The ground speed is much higher , operation is smoother and you can run across mature landscape without tearing it up.

the mini skidsteers are useful but not in the specific application yoire looking to use it for.
Otherwise, we would have gotten another mt85/100

the l23/l28 uses the mini skidsteer attachments
As previously stated (like the auger) there’s a few attachments that translate over from the full size.... front hoe isn’t one of them tho, I don’t know who told you that?
The front hoe will pull the miniskid into the hole instead of pulling the rocks/dirt/roots out of the hole
You can’t even pull yew/mugo stumps out without dragging yourself around the yard.