1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Bobcat MT85 and 418

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by CrystalCreek, Jul 17, 2017.

1. CrystalCreek

CrystalCreek LawnSite Bronze Member

Good morning. Never post in the heavy equipment area but need some guidance.

We do a lot of work in backyards and most of those yards have very limited access. We have been renting a MT85 a lot. Actually have rented it 21 out of 30 days last month. So I just went and purchased a new one of my own. We have so much work and we are back logged almost 4 months so I am not worried about the cost.

Here is my question. I have noticed that Bobcat makes a backhoe attachment for the 85. Has anyone used it? Likes/dislikes?

My original plan was to buy the 86 this year and next year get the 418. We have rented the 418 many times and love it for what it is built for. I am just wondering if the attachment can replace a machine or should I still plan on buying the 418?

Thanks in advance and happy digging.

hort101 likes this.
  2. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen LawnSite Senior Member

I have no experience with a mini skid backhoe, but if it's at all like backhoes for skid steers, they'll do in a pinch, or if you need something occasionally for an hour or two. But forget about replacing a mini ex with one.

CrystalCreek likes this.
  3. mrsops

mrsops LawnSite Silver Member

I Own both the mt85 and 418 both great machines.. I personally would go with the 418 you wont be sorry.. I go through 30'' gates all day long. zero turn also helps alot on a machine that size.

hort101 likes this.
  4. mrsops

mrsops LawnSite Silver Member

Those backhoe attachments are a pain[/QUOTE]

5. CrystalCreek

CrystalCreek LawnSite Bronze Member

I am really leaning towards both machines as well. They both are under 3K in weight so they can both be carried in my dump trailer. Heck, I am even thinking about getting a 10K, 8.5 X 18 car carrier trailer and storing them both inside of it. Would be plenty of capacity and storage options for all the attachments.
    Thanks for your reply.

6. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

we have one for our dw sk755 it's a great help sometimes. if we were to use it every day I'd get a hoe but it works well.

7. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Don't do the attachment man

You will end up pulling yourself around the yard
    The attachment has more breakout force than the machine has "ass" to stay put and use it.

There's a lot of great attachments for the mini skidsteers, the backhoe isn't one.

8. brichter14

brichter14 LawnSite Senior Member

I bought an eterra e40 with a 12" digging bucket and a 32" clean bucket. I really like it. For just small digging it's great and it's also great for tear outs. You gotta turn the machine to dump which tears up grass but I always tear up grass anyways so repairs happen