Bobcat mulching HELP

stockie

LawnSite Member
Hey guys

So here is my question. I want to get away from bagging everything but WILL NOT leave a mess on a property. I just got a fast cat pro (used, but only 50 hrs) Bobcats website sucks for their accessories. They have a mulch baffle kit for 215, or an eco-plate for 50. Anyone used either, or know the difference. I have spoke to two dealers, and neither can tell me how well they work, or even the difference between the two. Their advice is to buy it and see what it is. LOL My guess is the baffle kit blocks it off under the deck, and the eco plate just does the side discharge. If this is true, I cant go back and forth between mulching and bagging for different properties with the baffle kit, so it would have to work great. Any input?

Lefet

LawnSite Bronze Member
Not sure if it will help or not but we've got a 48" WB that I have gator blades on and it leaves a fine cut with no mess. Not sure about the fast cat. I WOULD however appreciate some pics and info of your fastcat, I'm looking into one for this year.

OP
stockie

stockie

LawnSite Member
Thanks. I was thinking about just getting gator blades, then getting the eco plate to block off the side. Save 100 bucks. I dont know much about the Bobcat yet, have barely driven it. The throttle cable is busted. Waiting for it to come in. I got it used with 50 hrs and an accelerator bag for 4500. Seems like a great deal for now. The guy I got it from was a builder and got some stuff off a guy going bankrupt. (Thats the story I got anyway) Still has the shine on the paint. I was looking at exmarks. All in that price range had 2000+ hrs, and would need some work. I did alot of research on here, and really coulnt find a bad review. So I rolled the dice. I will say the power vac for it is like 1800 bucks. Little crazy I think. I will get pics up soon if you would like

Lefet

LawnSite Bronze Member
I don't even block the side, really comes out nice. 50 hours you can't beat it. What size deck and heck YEAH I would like pics!!!

jiggz

LawnSite Senior Member
ok here is my experience with bobcat.. my machine is alot older its from the late 90's but there decks havent changed much.. Unless its this years model they opened the discharge considerably.. Gators made a WORLD of a differnce on my machine over the mid lifts that were on there..to the point that i would cut it let it fly then come back and bag and i hardly picked up anything..it would still clump a little I will say this though, in my experience the older decks dont mulch that great in lush spring grass..If i were you i would get a set of gators, there gonna work better nomater what your doing,, and throw a peice of plywood over the discharge and ducktape it on.. not for good, just to see how it performs before you drop 50 bucks.. you might get alot of windrowing on the right side of the mower beings there is no baffles and all the grass is getting piled over there.. the baffle kit will try and contain the grass that was cut to stay that blade/spindle housing part of the deck and recycle to an extent..if you cut anything over a weeks growth in the spring you might have a tough time multching and getting it to look good.. ANd yea normally you have to take the baffle kit off to bag.. doubble cutting at differnt hights really works well for me when i have to

Last edited:
OP
stockie

stockie

LawnSite Member
Anybody have black work trucks?

I want to do some signs on my truck this year, and its black. Im wondering how it will look. Mostly you just see white.

pugs

LawnSite Gold Member
I have ever sold 2 of the mulch baffle kits with the eliminator blades. I have never really heard back any input on how well they work.

I think I have sold 1 or 2 of the block off plates and again have heard very little about how it works.

The baffle kit, once its on...you arent switching alot. The plate you could take on/off easily.

Honestly I would do what others have mentioned and just side discharge and see how that works. And if you have extra clippings that arent dispersing good, toss the bag on for a final clean up.