1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Bobcat Walk Behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PrecisionLandService, Jan 21, 2004.

1. PrecisionLandService

PrecisionLandService LawnSite Member

Anyone own a Bobact walk behind 48" and have a problem with using a bagger (accelator) to pick up leaves? I allways have to use the Ryder to suck them up becase the walk behind does a poor job it spits them back out.. The mower was purchased last year... SHould i use different blades that would create greater suction to suck them up?

2. STAN1366

STAN1366 LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a Bobcat 48" too. I don't have any exp. w/ the accelerator bagger. I've been using a Grass Gobbler and it works well. I do get some blowout in front though. You might have to lower the front of the deck. Most guy's say it should be 1/4" lower in front than in back. You might also try adding a "lip" to the front of the deck to help w/ the blowout. Are the airholes clogged in the bagger? Is the bagger intake low enough in relation to the discharge of the machine? I also used the standard High lift blade along with gater blades doubled on each spindle.

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i got bobcat 36, and 48. they pick up great with a gobbler, and high lifts

4. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

I have a Bobcat 36, I bolted a strip of commercial lawn edging across the front.

5. STAN1366

STAN1366 LawnSite Senior Member

I guess I'll try only using the hi-lifts w/o the gater blades. Maybe they add too much turbulance under the deck? The edging is a good idea too. I added the anti-blowout baffle to my Lazer and it helped. Maybe I could make one for the Bobcat, but since I got the Lazer w/ the Ultra-vac, I pretty much only use the Bobcat to mulch the leaves up before 'catching' them w/ the lazer.

6. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I got too much blowout with highlift gators on my 36" exmark, as I just posted in another thread. I switched to the excalibur mulching blades and it made a huge difference. They don't cut/mulch quite was well, but there is very little blowout, allowing me to not have to double cut.

7. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

I had a BobCat 48. When I used the bagger I didn't run a center blade. It seemed to take of the blow out problem. It left a nice stripe too.

8. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

How could you cut like that, mowhawks everywhere, or what??

9. griffin16

griffin16 LawnSite Member

I have a bobcat 48" that would work better as a boat anchor !
    I did learn that if you lower the engine speed a little, it will not blow leaves out the front as much. Still a piece of $hit.