Bogging down/loss of power

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by toddharmon, Aug 12, 2018 at 10:48 PM.

1. toddharmon

toddharmon LawnSite Member

I have a toro Timecutter ss5000. Model number 74631 (2014 model) running on a Kawasaki fr691v-fs00, bogging down on lawns it doesn’t normally. I have changed the plugs, old ones were dry and looked whiteish. I’ve changed the fuel filter, air filter, new carburetor, removed fuel lines and forced air through them, performed a sea foam treatment, added star tron fuel additive to the fuel tank after draining and refilling with fuel, in case I got bad fuel somewhere along the line, changed both coils, new starter solenoid, drained and dried out fuel tank, refilled with the star tron and I’m still having the same problem! I also have a fuel pump on order that should arrive tomorrow. At times I’ve smelled raw gas after mowing. No sign of fuel leak though. Looking for something that I could possibly be missing. Anyone have any suggestions?? Thanks in advance!

2. Walker56

Walker56 LawnSite Bronze Member

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018 at 7:04 AM
  3. toddharmon

Never been adjusted, I’ll have to get those checked out. Thanks!

hort101 likes this.
  4. toddharmon

Update: did a compression test and one cylinder was at 120 psi while the other was around 115 psi. Valves were in good shape also. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I can’t figure out what I could be missing. Wiring harness? Not sure what else it could be. Throttle? So frustrating

5. toddharmon

Also when I removed the plugs they were white. I just installed these plugs last Friday.

6. Walker56

Walker56 LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you checked that your gas cap is venting properly? Have you checked the fuel tank filter/screen? Have you checked the governor for proper operation? You could have a weak governor spring.

sjessen likes this.
  7. toddharmon

My fuel tank has a tube that comes out that goes to nothing. I’m assuming this is for venting? Or does it work with the venting on the fuel cap??

8. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

9. scagman52

scagman52 LawnSite Senior Member

You were advised to adjust the valves. Did you actually check the valve lash (gap) or just look at them? ("Valves were in good shape also")

hort101 likes this.
  10. toddharmon

Yes I checked the valves and they did not require adjustment. Sorry should’ve specified better.

hort101 likes this.