Bolt on attachable tailgate ramps??

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by WesV88, Jul 21, 2018.

1. WesV88

WesV88 LawnSite Member

So im still new to the site (2nd post) I'm looking for a tailgate ramp thats fixed and bolts on to something like a Ranger or Dakota. Ive seen a company tailgater but it looks like there no longer in business (?) also shark kage and their website doesnt work, maybe outta business. I know I know "Buy a trailer" lol my target market is very small lawns around where I live so saving space would be very beneficial lots of street parkers around here. I'm just starting out and plan to buy my setup this winter and be out making some money next season! Any info finding a solid ramp would be awesome and if I dont get my hands on one I might just get a small trailer, Ive seen some pretty nice little setups on this site but most of the posts are a few years older.
    I work a full time job and interested in making some side money mowing I'm not looking at building a huge company, at least not right now, and would be happy if could get 10-15 small lawns on a regular basis so Im fairly confident I wouldnt outgrow a small setup any time soon.

2. 360ci

360ci LawnSite Bronze Member

I run a similar outfit for nearly two decades. I don't use ramps unless I take the 33" mower, even then I just store them in the truck bed as it takes half a minute to set them up and another half a minute to put away. You could get custom hinges made that can get welded on to everyday ramps but for the money vs time and how often you really need them permanently attached is really your call. Most of my lawns are smaller and I can easily get away with a standard 21" walk behind. I'm careful when buying because I get a lightweight model. Nothing too fancy, strictly a push mower. Currently I have two 159cc models that weight in at a relatively light 68lbs so I can lift them up/down from the truck with ease. I also have a stock height truck and am tall, making it a relatively straight forward procedure.

Go to a trailer shop and see if they can fab on a 4' wide bi-fold ramp. As long as you're OK with a permanent install it's what I would do. Remove the tailgate and put bars in the back stake pockets in order to lock the ramp to when not in use.

hort101 likes this.
  3. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

Run out of a truck bed daily. Use the wood ramps for my push mower. Never seems to be a big problem. On days I want more room in the bed I'll throw on my hitch carrier. It does add a bit of length but for inner city Chicago parking if I can't fit with the carrier I probably won't fit without. Don't forget with ramps you have to have the space to use them so you still need a buffer when street parking. With the carrier the ramp folds off the side so you can fit and use it in smaller areas then just ramps.

hort101 likes this.
  4. THIESSENS TLC

THIESSENS TLC LawnSite Bronze Member

bannerman sports turf magic. theyre expensive, but extremely safe and very handy. capable for up to 1000lbs. I had one years ago...regretted that I sold it so I bought another one. removeable in less than 2mins, bi-fold ramp that is not permanent....best ramp out there imo.

5. OP
    OP
    WesV88

WesV88 LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the info y'all I'm gonna look into the bannerman for sure

6. KAZ

KAZ LawnSite Member

Business Guy and hort101 like this.
  7. lawnsaspire

lawnsaspire LawnSite Bronze Member

8. FinishingTouchesPM

FinishingTouchesPM LawnSite Member

9. KAZ

KAZ LawnSite Member

hort101 likes this.
  10. FinishingTouchesPM

FinishingTouchesPM LawnSite Member

Ah the hitch mount is a no go for me, I want to be able to leave it on while trailering. Angle looks great though and it extends the bed!