1. Free Webinar: Why the Growth of Propane Deserves Your Attention
    Date: Thursday, April 25th
    Time: 11:00am EST
    Find out how switching to propane can save your company time and money. Click here to register
    Dismiss Notice

Bone head move of the day

Discussion in 'Power Washing' started by Todd73, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Todd73

Todd73 LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Florida

Normally I either wash or mow on a given day, not both. But yesterday I decide that I’m going to try to fit in a sidewalk wash at the end of the day. When I’m washing, the machine is at the end of the trailer by the gate, but since I had my mower with me as well, I shifted the machine up to the front. I also run the machine from the trailer.

So I knock out the sidewalk and go home. I’m standing between my truck and trailer unloading gear and notice the lid on cargo box I carry on the trailer looks warped. I walk around to the side of the trailer and look at the box from another angle.

Oops!

65D5213A-DA19-4C5F-8D69-0139271285DE.jpeg

Kinda forgot about the hot exhaust thing and had the machine a bit too close to the cargo box when it was running.

141275CC-ABA1-44EB-9828-6B1E3F8CD423.jpeg

The movable tray on the inside is literally melted to the box and isn’t so movable any more. Fortunately the only thing that I lost, beside the box, was a tire repair kit and a roll of duct tape.

A trip to Home Depot and $60 later, I’ve got a new box and am up and running again. Not gonna make that mistake again!

2. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

If that was the worst mistake I had ever made I'd be bragging!

RussellB, Charles, Walker56 and 3 others like this.
  3. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Silver Member

When I got a new trailer it took me awhile to get used to the fact that the tailgate didn't clear the jack when turning.

The local junkyards quickly ran out of white third gen Dodge Ram tailgates. :wall

Charles, sjessen, Walker56 and 2 others like this.
  4. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

I got this years ago when I had a hitch mounted leaf loader, still got it and it gives me a foot, clears gates and jacks, helps when in a tight spot and need that extra few inches

https://www.finditparts.com/product...bPbquavSZPs9JxMI2VOi0Yxg1v0a-EZRoCYAoQAvD_BwE

sjessen and Walker56 like this.
  5. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

At least there wasn’t any flames! and some guys in my area would grab it on trash night and put it to hard use

Walker56 likes this.
  6. Mr Stripe

Mr Stripe LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Seymour Missouri

I pulled the same exact thing last week. Thought I could zip through washing the gutters on the front of a lady's house. Rented unit as my washer is currently down & needs work. Anyway, I had no ladder along with, poor planning. I wore my arms out like stretch man getting it done. Stressed out & swapping between fittings thinking "Maybe this one will do better than it did 10 minutes ago, I didn't get the Yellow one in good I guess and I shot that booger like a dart clear over her roof and only God knows where it landed. Not in her backyard. Trust me, I looked.
    Luckily the rental guy when I told him I owed for a fitting just laughed & said don't worry about it, said it happens all the time. I bet that son'v a gun hit the backside of the neighbors house that backs up to her backyard.
    Luckily (hopefully) not a window, can you imagine sitting at your desk doing paperwork & having a pressure washer fitting shoot through your window & land on your desk? I'd been dead meat!