1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Booster Pump Failed

Discussion in 'Irrigation Pumps & Supplies' started by mitchgo, May 5, 2018.

1. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Gold Member

Yah.. I'll get right on that replacement of your failed booster pump for your irrigation system. IMG_0046.jpg IMG_0047.jpg IMG_0049.jpg

1idejim and Russell MiniTrencher like this.
  2. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Silver Member

Somebody probably thought that they were being real clever by tucking that up under there. Guess they figured that it was all good as long as they weren't the one who ever had to service or replace it.

mitchgo likes this.
  3. Outlawn

Outlawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Let me guess.....they do show horses for Western Pleasure and Performance Halter.

I know their type.......

1idejim and mitchgo like this.
  4. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Could be worse, dressage......

Outlawn likes this.
  5. kellanv

kellanv LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe they thought that the heat from the pump would help heat the water

mitchgo, Outlawn and 1idejim like this.
  6. Outlawn

Outlawn LawnSite Bronze Member

It is red. I can see where the confusion could be. :p

7. Jmcculler

Jmcculler LawnSite Member

Not only the location of the pump but surround it with traps and a glue pad? lmao. Think it's ok to say they have a rodent problem.

8. OP
    OP
    mitchgo

So the pump failed and metal bits traveled down causing a few zone valves to stick.

This is for a horse arena - 70' wide with 4 rotors on each side.
    38 PSI. I re-nozzled and got the end of the throw about 37-40' each ! Don't need no stinkin booster pump

The pump was located in the barn food/ gear holding area.

Outlawn likes this.
  9. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Gold Member

Or that the heat from the water heater would keep the pump from freezing up.

10. OP
    OP
    mitchgo

Be careful when diagnosing!

I mis-diagnosed and went to replace a supposedly bad pump. Come to find out it was a on/off switch.

The breaker kept flipping. This was a dedicated Breaker 240V from the house up to the relay switch, just after the relay there was on/off kill switch for the pump.

With the homeowner next to me we verified we had 26V from the controller and 240V inlet. The breaker would flip when we turned on the pump. I turned the kill switch off and would have power on the outlet of the relay. We would see the pump move for a second then the breaker would flip.

I didn't catch this until after I installed the new pump. I bypassed the switch and reinstalled the old pump. . 38zone system he was happy his pump didn't fail. pump.png