Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
That's funny. You've just experienced the difference between home owner and commercial equipment.
Companies can put anything together for home owner use, and sell millions at the right price. Many don't worry about quality, if the retailers get returns, they exchange or replace them. Many home owners shop only price and many never put the equipment to any real test, so the mfg makes out great in the numbers game.
Commercial equipment is where the real testing is, and that's why there's usually such a quality difference.
Hope you get yours back soon.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I was at my parents house visiting one day, and I offered to cut the grass for them. I had to use their equipment since mine was at home. I enjoyed cutting the grass with an electric mower (not!). Then there was the electric weedeater to do the trimming with. I think it was a weedeater brand. The trimmer line was about the diametere of a thread. It was not a fin experience. I'll use my own stuff from now on!

·
Banned
8,742 Posts
I do my parents lawn now and then for them and it's funny because I like get done in an hour...and they are like, "How did you get it done so fast!?!?"

·
Registered
206 Posts
Originally posted by promower
My trimmer is out of commision for a few days. Used my dads I dont have a back up. It's a homelite, this thing was like a toy wasnt sure if I was supposed to put soap instead of gas in it and have bubbled come out. What a piece of junk does anyone actually use these things???:dizzy:
Yes I do. I've used them for years. Great little product for the price you pay. I've been paying around $80 for the ZipStart and I'll get about 3 seasons from it until I have to throw them away and buy another. Bear in mind that I only service 12-15 yards per week and all have very little trimming.

Thanks,

BAMARED

·
Registered
206 Posts
Originally posted by promower
My trimmer is out of commision for a few days. Used my dads I dont have a back up. It's a homelite, this thing was like a toy wasnt sure if I was supposed to put soap instead of gas in it and have bubbled come out. What a piece of junk does anyone actually use these things???:dizzy:
Yes I do. I've used them for years. Great little product for the price you pay. I've been paying around $80 for the ZipStart and I'll get about 3 seasons from it until I have to throw them away and buy another. Bear in mind that I only service 12-15 yards per week and all have very little trimming.

Thanks,

BAMARED

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
You can say that again! hehe

Homelites rock! I still have the trimmer and blower I started with, many many years ago. Before I was even fully on my own. The trimmer is 10+ years old, it can go a full season without getting even started, and then it will crank up in 2 minutes or less. The blower I haven't even tried to start in years. The darn head on the trimmer spins the wrong way, but it's got lots of power.

BARMARED: Do yourself a favor; get a Shindaiwa T260 or 270.

You will save money over time, I promise. One 270, doing 20 or so yards a week will last longer than you care to be in business. The power of it will so easily surpass the homelite, you will wonder WHY you didn't do it sooner. Like I said, Homelites rock. But they are NOTHING like a commercial trimmer, especially a Shindaiwa. If you've ever thought about taking someone advise on here, make it mine. lol You will not regret it, the two are night and day.

~Nest

P.S. You'd be home earlier each day too! With less fatigue!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
When I first started out I had a Homelite trimmer. Believe it or not, It lasted for seven years. I didnt do a lick of maintainence on it that I can remember. Since then I have switched to echo commercial grade equipment and have had a lot of problems. Carb replaced within one year. fuel soaked filters, Hard to start,etc. Makes you wonder sometimes. This spring will be switching again to redmax.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Homelite, Craftsman and Weedeater do not last very long. I went through a period a couple years ago where I could not afford a new commercial trimmer and had to buy a cheapo to get by on. They do not last me more than a month or 2. Just not worth it. I went through 6 Echo trimmers before I got smart and bought my first Stihl. It has lasted almost 3 years. Well worth the price. It has never let me down yet.

My first mower was a Murray 38 inch rider. It lasted 6 months before the deck wore out. My Bobcat is 5 years old and I just replaced the drive belts last week for the first time. It goes and goes and goes. Always buy commercial. You just do not save money buying the cheap stuff.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I had a Homelite backpack blower when I got started..........they'd sieze up and I'd take em back to Lowes and get another one.......did that 3 times before I got to feeling guilty. Bought an Echo after that then a Stihl and then another Stihl. I still got both Stihls and the Echo for a backup.

·
Registered
952 Posts
i still use dads back pack leaf blower when i have 5 people working (only in the fall) for a day or two.its a echo PB4600.works great

·
Registered
975 Posts
I still miss my Home Lite b/p blower and trimmer. After 5 years of great service they both gave it up earlier this year. I went a different way than most of you with the new trimmer. I bought a Cub Cadet professional grade straight shaft (model CC 3000) which has turned out great. I've been using it 5 months now and never had a problem with it. Always starts on the 1st or 2nd pull, and more than enough power. I'm supprised nobody else in the industry has mentioned using one. At $290 as opposed to $400-$500 for a Stihl, Echo, Red Max, or Kawasaki and same performance without all the problems. I just don't get it.

·
Registered
11,163 Posts
I looked at the Cub Commercial trimmers before I bought my Stihl. I used a 2 cycle 31cc Ryobi split boom trimmer w/attachments prior to that. It stood up to almost 2 years of hard commercial use. If I had only used it to string trim I'd probably still be using it now.

The Ryobi was a straight shaft but had clockwise head rotation. I still miss that. Counterclockwise still slows me down.
Which way does the head turn on the Cub??????

·
Registered
66 Posts
I dont think there are many 4 or 5 hundred dollar trimmers. They are more like 3 to 4 hundred dollars, and they are well worth it. The biggest difference to me is the well balancing of the stihls, they dont jar around at all especially the new 110. Now that i have stihls, i would never go back to a homelite!!!!

·
Registered
975 Posts
Originally posted by Envy Lawn Service
The Ryobi was a straight shaft but had clockwise head rotation. I still miss that. Counterclockwise still slows me down.
Which way does the head turn on the Cub??????
The head on the Cub also turns counterclockwise. I know what you mean about slowing you down. I was so used to the clockwise rotation of the Homelite that the Cub still messes me up at times. Not only that, the spools on my homelite were so much faster to refill. Homelite spools have a little divider seperating the top and bottom. I would just count how many times around I would wind the top; cut it off, and repeat it for the bottom. Took all the guesswork out of loading a spool.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.