Lawn Care Forum banner

Box Truck vs Trailer

11K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  UniqueLawn&LandscapeTN 
#1 ·
I'm looking for opinions of converting my typical truck and trailer combo to box trucks. I seem to spend a lot of money on trailer repairs and mileage isn't that great either.

Box trucks seem like they may hold up better, but i'm also not sure of how to handle debris.

Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks

#3 ·
I'm in the same situation...I sold my small trailer at the end of last year and was actually unsure of mowing/landscaping this year at all. After LONG thought this winter im gonna give it one more hard push leaving no stone unturned and advertising budget UNLIMITED!! My first challenge of the year is to decide to buy another trailer or Box Truck which will work as a rolling billboard as well hence the advertising...Im licensed and Insured and currently have 12 customers :clapping:!!! Any other advice on this situation?

#4 ·
I have run open 12', 16', 20' trailers over the last 8 years. And I have the same question. I have thought about a box truck for the same reasons. The maintenance on trailer brakes, bearings, decking, tires etc is not cheap. I see several larger companies in my area with box trucks, and they sure as heck don't look as cool but hey, if it saves/makes you more money why not. Plus advertising space on the side. Fuel would be about the same depending. Plus it's enclosed. And you can still pull a trailer with it. I've seen them pulling skidsteers.

When you say you don't know what to do with debris, I assume, or at least for me spring thatch and fall leaf cleanup debris. Where to put it? You would need to pull a dump trailer with leaf loader and have a side door with ramp for the box truck. Or have the box truck be able to dump! And blow your debris into the truck. Then for fall cleanups pull the trailer with mowers.

I think the bigger companies around me have a second truck for debris. But I like my dumping box truck idea better!

#11 ·
Thats something different...It looks nice but it looks like it would be a little long...I believe I'm going to stick with a trailer whether it be enclosed or open yet i'm not sure but my truck is paid for so I really cant justify another truck payment when I can buy an enclosed for 1/3rd of the price of a box truck. I can always use my 18' equip. trailer in place of an open trailer and get an enclosed to mow out of...:dizzy:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.