1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

boxwoods turned whiteish cream color???

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by kandklandscape, Apr 28, 2007.

1. kandklandscape

kandklandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

never seen this before. my mother has 4 boxwoods in the front. about 5 years old. they are about 12 in high. they are now a whiteish cream color on top, bottom about 2 in up is green rest is white!! !never seen this before. somebody help.

never no chemicals applied at all.

never seen nothing like this happen, espeically a boxwoood. also there are no dogs, cats, not any kind of bug on the shrub either.

2. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

probably got frost on some new growth, we have some around here like that, it was useasonably warm in feb and march and then we had a pretty bad freeze for about 3 days

3. Turf Troll

Turf Troll LawnSite Member

I have been seeing more damage this year than the past few years. I guess plants didn't harden up and stay dormant long enough to deal with the weather.

4. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Winter kill, frost damage, etc. Boxwoods don't like the cold. Spray them with an anti-dessicant like Trans-film next fall, maybe again in a couple of months if it warms up enough to spray.

5. kandklandscape

kandklandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

do you think they will get green this year at all?

6. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

fertilize and wait and see.