Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a br800 with the side start that they have long-term? I am interested on if the side start still works well after a couple seasons. All of the reviews I find are people right when they get them and I can't find any long term reviews

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Only Stihl would add 2lbs to a machine that you carry on your back for hundreds of hours to save 8 seconds on the rare occasion a side start is warranted.
The side start doesn't add much weight if any. The superior telescoping tube weighs more though. I have 2 side start units and would just get the regular one in the future. the side start is an easy start mechanism, and is annoying, especially when you just want to crank it a few times to get the thing fired up when its hovering just above freezing in the fall.

I'll report back this fall though, the end of last year I had troubles with both running right. They were both fixed this spring under warranty. The carb issues and a valve issue I was having was making the side start somewhat useless. They are both running great again now.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
I’ve had mine since the first summer they were released haven’t changed a thing. Bought a new recoil when I bought it (saw lots of skepticism on the mechanical side of that) and it’s just collecting dust. It’s my primary blower (very very rarely use a handheld) and I have used it for snow/sidewalks as well. Few broken buckles, lost the adjuster ring (doesn’t make a difference) and sometimes the thumb start takes 2/3 “stops” to actually get it to stop. This will cause the choke to slip so when it’s cold (first start of day) I’ll start it on the ground and hold that.

i wouldn’t buy a blower without side start /electric start. Between stopping and starting for customers/pools/neighbors walking by/just not having running walking across a property I feel like I make use of the side start several times a day, every day

·
Registered
7,582 Posts
The side start doesn't add much weight if any. The superior telescoping tube weighs more though. I have 2 side start units and would just get the regular one in the future. the side start is an easy start mechanism, and is annoying, especially when you just want to crank it a few times to get the thing fired up when its hovering just above freezing in the fall.

I'll report back this fall though, the end of last year I had troubles with both running right. They were both fixed this spring under warranty. The carb issues and a valve issue I was having was making the side start somewhat useless. They are both running great again now.
so what adds the 2.8lbs. Almost 3lbs plastic tube ?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Vastly different harness and tube, I can assure you the easy start part weighs almost nothing. I took it off my blower to check something and was surprised how non substantial the part was.

·
Registered
7,582 Posts
Not knocking the c but I would think long and hard if the benefits outweigh the fact you will be carrying almost 3 extra lbs for hundreds of hrs. To me, the c benefits are a gimmick designed for an upsell into a higher profit margin unit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have 2 800s. Replaced recoil side start once after 1st or second season. Next time it went out I replaced with a regular starting mechanism. Great blowers. Impatient employees are not easy on the recoil start and wear it out. Sometime I miss the side start but it's really not that big of a deal.

·
Registered
24,994 Posts
I find it hard to believe that it is actually 3 pounds heavier, none of the differences seem like they would add that much weight.
You can sure feel the weight difference when you try them on back to back. I have done that several times now. It is one of the big reasons I wanted the X version. I don't know where al the weight lies any more thhan anyone else here does, but I know the Stihl rep told us at openhouse one time that most of it lies in the side start sytem. If Stihl is telling us that. I have to believe it is true or he'd have some splaining to do to his higher ups I would think, yet he's back for each new openhouse.

·
Registered
7,582 Posts
For once we agree. I don’t see how harness and tube could add up to 2.8 lbs if the Stihl numbers are correct. Can’t say I’ve tried C. I went by the numbers and got X

If I’m going to lug weight I’ll grab a 9010 which is under 1lb heavier than 800c and has the additional power to make it worthwhile in the fall. In this heat right now the Stihl 600’s are the go to.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
My 800c is on its second year. I bought it because they didn't have any regular 800's when I wanted it. No problems with it and I've grown to like it because I get the blower out of a chest high box. I can put it straight on without having to set it down and start it first. The actual assembly that you pull is light weight. Maybe there is additional weight in the spring assembly that attaches to the crankshaft?

·
Registered
24,994 Posts
I'm sure the different tube, shoulder harness, and starter must all add up to make that weight difference, but no one thing seems all that much heavier than what is on the X models. I really don't know where the weight is all at, but you can feel the difference between the X and the C trying them on back to back and wearing them around for a few minutes. I have to agree with TT ( I know! We've agreed twice in one day and even the same thread gasp:eek: ) the 600's are all you need in the summer months if you have one, but last summer I ran my 800 all summer and this year I am back on the 802 for the summer. Spread the work load around and make them last longer sorta thing.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
The plastic back plate on the c model is also larger. It’s meant to fit more like a hiking backpack and you can get some of the weight onto your hips which actually results in less fatigue in the shoulders. We only use the waist belt during leaf season where we are wearing them all day.

·
Registered
10,203 Posts
Yeah I wouldn't like using my 800c for long periods without the waist and chest strap. Getting the weight off the shoulders definitely helps for longer cleanups.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts