1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

BRAIN DEAD...1227 square feet is how many yards (mulch)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stephen424, Mar 6, 2010.

1. stephen424

stephen424 LawnSite Senior Member

i know the answer but it just doesn't seem right in my head.
    i kicked off the season this week doing 6 mulch jobs of 25 yards + each one and i'm physically and mentally drained

help

2. hitechlm

hitechlm LawnSite Senior Member

if you want to figure out how much mulch you need, take the length x the width x .25 (which equals 3") then divide that by 27......so lets say your length is 10' x your width 15' = 150 sq ft x .25=37.5 / 27=1.4 yards

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

You can not calculate this in cubic yards, until you know how thick it is to be spread.

4. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

Only because I'm bored and can do this in about 20 seconds:

15 yards at 4" deep

11 yards at 3"

7.5 yards at 2"

Your welcome.

5. clay duncan

clay duncan LawnSite Senior Member

twelve..... one cubic yard of mulch, dirt, gravel, ect. covers roughly 100 sq. ft 3 in. thick.........

6. stephen424

i'm spreading cedar mulch 3 inches deep

7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

You will need 11.361 cubic yards. I would round it up to 12 Yds.

8. stephen424

That's what I thought...
    For some reason I've been dividing 1227 by 27 (which is 48 yards). And was like...there's no way in hell she needs 48 yards!

With that said, I'm wondering should I buy bulk @ $34/yard...or just go to home depot and buy bags @ $2.25 a bag (each bag covers 2 cu ft)

9. Landscraper1

Landscraper1 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Southeastern Ma.

Here is the formula I use, it's simple: Square footage X depth / 324 = how many yards to use.

So;
    1227 x 2in thick divided by 324 = 7.57 yards
    1227 x 3in thick divided by 324 = 11.36 yards

a Quote (Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and eats for a lifetime)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  10. 1993lx172

1993lx172 LawnSite Bronze Member

Just for future reference (not trying to sound like an a$$ or anything) but if you look in the top left corner of the LS home page right next to the logo, you will see a list. If you click on the sixth one down from the top (Helpful Tools) there is a feature that will calculate how much mulch you will need and in how many bags, pick-up truck, or dump truck loads you will need. Not trying to be a smart a$$, a lot of people don't know that it's there.:waving: