• Landscape Lighting Design: Bright Ideas
    With outdoor spaces more popular than ever, lighting these landscapes may be your next opportunity. Click here to learn more.

brake bands on wb mowers

snapper

LawnSite Senior Member
I have an old gravely belt drive. The bands look good and stop good. I am guessing they are the originals and have some hours on them. What is your alls expierence with brake bands?? Do they generaly have a long life?? Should i get a spare?? Please educate me about brake bands??

Thanks guys!! snapper

metro-hp_48

LawnSite Senior Member
I've seen them last for along time. Run about 25.00 each, if I remember right. Too much for me to keep spares.

dishboy

LawnSite Fanatic
I broke one last week on my 96 Exmark. 18.00 and it is a royal pina to stop it with no brakes, a spare is a good idea since you will save the 18.00 just by not making a extra trip to the shop for a part they might or might not have.

impactlandscaping

LawnSite Silver Member
When you stop 2 feet past where you intended to stop, time to change 'em.LOL..I got 4 1/2 years from my first set on a Snapper 36...they were almost to the metal band, but still grabbin here and there. It all depends on how much you use 'em and crab your brakes on hillsides. I wouldn't change them 'til you really need to ..if it aint broke, don't fix it..,:D

brucec32

LawnSite Platinum Member
I bought a couple for spares for my Toro wb's years ago. I still haven't had an occasion to use them.