branches kill mower at wot

LilRabbit

LawnSite Member
I have a turf tiger that low branches turn key off while mowing... anybody else have this problem??

JeremyKuhn

LawnSite Senior Member
Go around the tree the other way? My panel is on the right so I keep everything to the left or I just push forward under the branch until it reaches me and back out.

OP
L

LilRabbit

LawnSite Member
my panel is on my left, yes with pine trees that would work but I have a property with a line of large black walnut trees with branches that go to the ground (pita) :)

JeremyKuhn

LawnSite Senior Member
Offer to do some tree trimming? I have a couple like that and those are the ones I go forward into. It takes longer but that is the best way I've found to get farther in without being knocked out or having the branches mess with me.

ArTurf

LawnSite Fanatic
I have a policy that limbs & etc be trimmed so that I at least can walk under, approx 7" minimum. Irritating to be hit in the face plus the fact that insect bites and rashes from contacting various plants. The way I explain it is "would you put up with objects hitting you in the face while you performed your job".

KS_Grasscutter

LawnSite Gold Member
I've got a couole bushes that switch off my walker every single week haha
Posted via Mobile Device

southerntide

LawnSite Fanatic
Never had it happened have some customers who refuse to pay or trim themselves just barrel through the limbs lol

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
I have a turf tiger that low branches turn key off while mowing... anybody else have this problem??

I can't say Ive had this happen with a lawn mower before.

But I have with snow machines.

When riding in the trees, the branches some times slap the kill switch on the handle, which cuts out the engine usually when you are in mid hill climb! :waving:
Down you go! :cry:

so, it's common to put a zip strip under the kill switch to make it impossible to kill the engine, or, turning the kill switch on the handle 45 degrees away so it doesn't get slapped by branches.

Then the machine is turned off by either pulling the DESS key or if it has a regular ignition key, turning that.

on a lawn mower?
Im not sure WHY you are barreling through branches like that in the first place.

Im with the other guy who posted about trimming them up out of the operators way.
I usually have crew leaders trim branches up, no charge on new accounts (sometimes if Im lucky I can get the client to see the value and turn it into a upsell in the first place!)

My only other suggestion would be to do a modification somehow to your control panel like we do on snow machines, and modify the access to the key/throttlw so it doesn't get slapped/poked.

Top Forums