Brand names used for irrigation??

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by gusbuster, Oct 20, 2000.

1. gusbuster

gusbuster LawnSite Bronze Member

Just kind of curious to see what kind of brand names are used in irrigation installs by the pro's who use this site.
    Valve's? brand and size (3/4" 1" ect..)
    Brand of fixed spray heads and nozzles?
    Impacts or rotors? Why?
    Timers ? (indoor or out door)
    Do you pull pipes or bury pipes?

From talking from my parts person today, I got curious just to see how other people do installations in other parts of the country.

John

2. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Well I'm interested in knowing the brand names so I can do some research.
    All I do is the occasional repair/improvement. For that, I just use Home Cheapo.
    They sell Toro and Rainbird.

I see alot of Hunter and Nelson component/systems in the field.

3. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Irritrol valves- generally 1" and 1 1/4"
    Rainbird 1800 series sprays (most of the time)
    Mostly rotors, mixed Hunter, Nelson, K Rain
    Use Rainbird ESP series controllers mostly

4. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

90% of jobs we use Irritrol 1" valves, ESP clocks, Hunter I-20 heads, and Rain Bird pop ups for beds. We bury pipe. We do not install drip.

5. gusbuster

gusbuster LawnSite Bronze Member

Pretty much, whatever the local irrigation supply house pushes is used. For Example:
    Fixed sprays
    Horizon----RainBird
    Ewing------Toro
    GreenMark----Hunter

All the above mentioned names are big irrigation houses located through out the western states

John

6. GilbertJT

GilbertJT LawnSite Member

I have used mostly Nelson products this includes heads, valves and controllers. I have had great luck with them, especially the latest version of gear drive heads. They have a good warranty and I have them in my own yard so I may be a little biased. I have some experience with Hunters, Rainbirds and Toro. I feel that the Nelson is the simplest to operate and easiest to teach a customer to adjust themself.:blob3:

7. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

Hunter rotors and pop up, ESP clock, irritrol 1" valves, netafim low volume

Jim L

8. EarthWorks

EarthWorks LawnSite Member

Hunter rotors, Using Rainbird 5004 on a job now. Seem to be pretty good. Rainbird pop ups. Rainbird valves and esp controllers. Hunter rain sensor. I despise nelson because I always have to clean up after the only person that installs them here. The Nelson controller sucks. What is up with having to pull the top off a head to adjust it?

9. GilbertJT

GilbertJT LawnSite Member

I would much rather teach a customer how to pop off the top of a head to adjust it one time than have to stop out and show them how to adjust a Hunter five times after I have a job done. I guess for me it makes economic sense. Plus Nelson has one of the best warranties on the market even better than Toro's seven year pro-rated warranty. Once again economic sense. :D

10. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I was a big fan of Nelson stuff for a long time. The simplicity of adjusting the rotors was one reason why. Lately I have noticed I have more Nelson failures than anything. I also installed a lot of their controllers, and I have had to replace alot of them :mad: The outdoor boxes have a real problem with moisture and the indoor one have problem with heat. Its a hard sell on a new controller when the one you installed last just goes bad after the warranty is over. This makes ya look bad for choosing an inferior product. I have installed more than one replacement without making a dime, just to keep the customer happy.