Brand new Kohler Command 22.5hp backfires on shut down

clydesdale

LawnSite Senior Member
The new motor is mounted to an Exmark 60 turf tracer. Something is not happy with this brand new motor. It has 5.5 hrs on it. I idle it all the way down and leave it there for 30 sec and it still lets out a backfire. I believe the throttle cable is adjusted well. When all the way in "rabbit" the throttle lever seems to bottom out against a screw and plate. But, maybe when in "turtle" is should idle down even more. I have to adjust the choke cable. The motor is a CV680-3089. Any ideas?

flintknapper

LawnSite Senior Member
IF the carb has a fuel solenoid shut off (most modern engines do) you can test that to be sure it is closing off. Also let the engine idle a few minutes (to cool down) before shutting it off.

IF you suspect the low idle is too high when throttled all the way back, you can check that with a mini-tach.

tobylou8

LawnSite Bronze Member
Be sure to read the manual. Different engines have different specs even from the same maker. I've had Kohler's that shut down full and some down. WHY? Got no idea but that's what they do.

OP
C

clydesdale

LawnSite Senior Member
I emailed Kohler and sure enough, they said shut it down at full throttle. I tried it and it works perfect like that. So, I tried it at about half throttle and it was fine as well. Below that and it causes a backfire. So, it looks like I need to shut it off near full throttle. Thank you for everybody's help.

XB 2002

LawnSite Member
I have a 2003 Kohler 23 Command Pro Horizontal and if you chop the throttle it will back fire and if you just shut it down from wide open it will too. If I ease off the throttle and let it idle about 10 -20 seconds smooth as silk. I guess whatever works......but boy dat is a loud back fire.

XB 2002

tobylou8

LawnSite Bronze Member
If they say full throttle, that's what I'd do. Any less and you can cause carb/injector issues. If it's under warranty (?) and you tell them otherwise, CLAIM DENIED!