Brand new mower- bent deck

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by tnelson131, Sep 13, 2018.

1. tnelson131

tnelson131 LawnSite Member

Bought a 61” Ferris walk behind. Nailed a water meter cover and instead of bending blade or spindle the deck became bent.

Took it in and the reputable repair shop “fixed it”. Still looks noticeable when you’re cutting Bermuda. About 1/4 inch off of alignment from one blade to the other. Only one blade is tilted. The other two are fine. I understand there will be limitations on it being perfect again.

Any suggestions? I don’t want to pay thousands for a new deck. Less than 20 hrs on the mower. Thanks in advance!

2. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

They may have repairs the deck but not the spindle
    Check the spindle and the actual shaft/bolt the blade is on
    They might need to be replaced too

hort101 likes this.
  3. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

A 1/4" is not really a acceptable amount of of varience. You can bend deck back -youtube it- or put thin washers between deck and spindle. Either way you need a HOC tool and a level concrete floor. Swap your spindles to see if it changes anything so you can eliminate the spindle first.

Breezmeister and hort101 like this.
  4. Fuzzy1

Fuzzy1 LawnSite Senior Member

You may want to just buy a "shell" and move everything over from your deck to the new one.

5. tnelson131

Spindle is good to go. It’s 100% the deck. They said deck only bends back so much. This is second time they’ve had machine. The first time they said it was good to go. Wasn’t sure if I was being picky about the variance. I always figured either it’s right or it’s wrong. No real in between.

6. tnelson131

Would prefer not buying shell as it would cost thousands. Already spent over 6 on the machine.

7. Fuzzy1

You're gonna have to either shim the spindle or replace the shell ... I once had an issue with the blades on my J.D. not cutting in the same plane ... I cut 3 discs out of Advantech flooring material ... bolted them in place of the blades & shimmed the spindle a bit to get the 3 discs all in the same plane. Worked like a top and really wasn't very difficult. I think I still have them ... you can have them if you like ...

hort101 and DXN1EL like this.
  8. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

You need to cut the bent section out (basically just cut out around the spindle) and then just weld it back in with the spindle level with the other 2 spindles...easy peasy lemon squeezy...if you have a plasma cutter and a welder:D.

It would be best to remove the deck to do this work.

zraffz likes this.
  9. Fuzzy1

Not at all necessary to go through all that ... shim the spindle(s) for alignment.

10. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

Spindle is mounted to the bottom of the deck so you can only shim the spindle down...What do you do if you need to shim the spindle up? Don't tell me that you shim the the 2 good spindles down so you can shim the bent one correctly? Shimming spindles is mickey mouse bs.

OP - If you want this fixed correctly, Take the mower or just the deck to any competent welding/fabricating shop!