Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up the FS90 today from my Stihl dealer. Holy crap, talk about torque!! I couldn't believe it! Ofcourse my last trimmer was a 10 year old Ryobi. The 4 Mix sounds really cool tool. I am really looking forward to years of great service from it. Thanks for everyone's opinions and experiences!!

Now I have a couple of questions: My dealer told me to one 1 gallon of the dyno Stihl oil first before switching to the synthetic. He said it would help seat the rings a little better. What do you guys think? I have a quart of Amsoil Saber coming, which leads me to my next question. What ratio do most people run in the Stihl's. I have seen 80:1 posted quite abit, but I don't want to take a chance in ruining a brand new engine. I was thinking I would go 64:1. What do you guys think??

I also find that there really is no negotiating the price on the Stihl stuff. Even said I was paying cash!! I did get a "free" Stihl hat though! I guess I am a great negotiator!

·
Registered
330 Posts
I believe the manual says for break in not to run wide open for the first two tanks of gas. As for the Stihl oil, every time I use it I foul plugs (I seem to remember other people saying they had this problem as well). My preference is to use 64:1 mix in my equipment, but about once a month I will run a tank of 50:1 (not sure if it helps or hurts, but makes sense in my own little mind). I haven't had any problems thus far.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dang, I didn't get a hat. But I do like the FS90!
I was trading up from a 20 year old Echo. I know my dealer well and he recommended the 4-stroke FS90 for what I was cutting.
Wow! The torque is great! Starts easy, idles smooth, runs hard.

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
I mix up 1 tank full at 40:1 Opti 2 and run it wide open on the bench until it runs out of fuel. After that it's Opti 2 at 80:1. I have 3 Stihl FS100RX that were broken in that way. We run the crap out of them every day with no problems at all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.