Breaking The Ice With Strangers

YoungsLC

LawnSite Member
This year will be my first full time year in business but my weakness is simply (TALKING) weither its knocking on doors or just handing out cards. I want to go out and market all day long but when I'm standing there waiting for someone to come to the door I am overwhelmed with anxiety of what i will say. I often find my voice shakes as I'm just saying hey how are you. What can i do please help.

Cam15

LawnSite Fanatic
This year will be my first full time year in business but my weakness is simply (TALKING) weither its knocking on doors or just handing out cards. I want to go out and market all day long but when I'm standing there waiting for someone to come to the door I am overwhelmed with anxiety of what i will say. I often find my voice shakes as I'm just saying hey how are you. What can i do please help.
Use the first same line every time. Tell them who you are what you giving out and ask if their interested. All there is to it. BTW I hate it too.

DavidsonLandscaping

LawnSite Senior Member
Start watching some videos on YouTube. Know everything you have to offer as a business, know your limits. Be completely honest in the conversation. Approaching any potential customer is the same as approaching any girl in the bar. You might strike you might hit. It will get easier with time. If they appear to be on the fence do a follow up a few days later. Always look professional

OP
YoungsLC

YoungsLC

LawnSite Member
Start watching some videos on YouTube. Know everything you have to offer as a business, know your limits. Be completely honest in the conversation. Approaching any potential customer is the same as approaching any girl in the bar. You might strike you might hit. It will get easier with time. If they appear to be on the fence do a follow up a few days later. Always look professional
I really appreciate that I think that's what it comes down to is being confident and don't let the "No" change my confidence at all.

DavidsonLandscaping

LawnSite Senior Member
Your going to get 100 questions with every stop, some people dont care. What do you do and how much, others want fine detail. Dont worry about either, you need to know about your business and what you can handle. I dont do any major tree work or hardscape. But I do have a friend that does both. That's something I'm always upfront with. I'm not selling you the world, but if I can help make your view easier, I will. Your selling a service. It should be a easy thing. The hardest thing you will have to worry about is making sure the money is always coming in.

BigJlittleC

LawnSite Fanatic
Door knocking is tough. Your looking for a yes in the middle of hundreds of no's.

Practice then practice some more. Your open should be smooth.

Hi Sir, I'm John from John's awesome lawn cutters. I'm in the area today talking with neighbors about our services. Right now we have a promotion for blah blah blah.....

Next door repeat that same opening. Write up a pitch and practice.

OP
YoungsLC

YoungsLC

LawnSite Member
Door knocking is tough. Your looking for a yes in the middle of hundreds of no's.

Practice then practice some more. Your open should be smooth.

Hi Sir, I'm John from John's awesome lawn cutters. I'm in the area today talking with neighbors about our services. Right now we have a promotion for blah blah blah.....

Next door repeat that same opening. Write up a pitch and practice.
Exactly i think if i could get over the rejection fear I'll be okay but i can definitely write up a pitch and practice thank you guys so much

BigJlittleC

LawnSite Fanatic
Exactly i think if i could get over the rejection fear I'll be okay but i can definitely write up a pitch and practice thank you guys so much
Long time ago my job was to go door to door and solicit leads for a home improvement company. Best thing to do is to accept most people will tell you no. It's nothing personal. If I remember correctly we would use the stat or 75 no to 1 yes. This was for lead generation. Then maybe 1% of that turned to sales.