Breaking The Ice With Strangers

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by YoungsLC, Jan 13, 2020.

1. YoungsLC

YoungsLC LawnSite Member

This year will be my first full time year in business but my weakness is simply (TALKING) weither its knocking on doors or just handing out cards. I want to go out and market all day long but when I'm standing there waiting for someone to come to the door I am overwhelmed with anxiety of what i will say. I often find my voice shakes as I'm just saying hey how are you. What can i do please help.

MILLC and RussellB like this.
  2. Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Gold Member

Use the first same line every time. Tell them who you are what you giving out and ask if their interested. All there is to it. BTW I hate it too.

3. OP
    OP
    YoungsLC

YoungsLC LawnSite Member

Thank you for some reason it's the hardest thing for me to get used too lol

sjessen and Cam15 like this.
  4. DavidsonLandscaping

DavidsonLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Start watching some videos on YouTube. Know everything you have to offer as a business, know your limits. Be completely honest in the conversation. Approaching any potential customer is the same as approaching any girl in the bar. You might strike you might hit. It will get easier with time. If they appear to be on the fence do a follow up a few days later. Always look professional

MILLC, sjessen and Cam15 like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    YoungsLC

YoungsLC LawnSite Member

I really appreciate that I think that's what it comes down to is being confident and don't let the "No" change my confidence at all.

MILLC and Cam15 like this.
  6. DavidsonLandscaping

DavidsonLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Your going to get 100 questions with every stop, some people dont care. What do you do and how much, others want fine detail. Dont worry about either, you need to know about your business and what you can handle. I dont do any major tree work or hardscape. But I do have a friend that does both. That's something I'm always upfront with. I'm not selling you the world, but if I can help make your view easier, I will. Your selling a service. It should be a easy thing. The hardest thing you will have to worry about is making sure the money is always coming in.

hort101 likes this.
  7. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

Door knocking is tough. Your looking for a yes in the middle of hundreds of no's.

Practice then practice some more. Your open should be smooth.

Hi Sir, I'm John from John's awesome lawn cutters. I'm in the area today talking with neighbors about our services. Right now we have a promotion for blah blah blah.....

Next door repeat that same opening. Write up a pitch and practice.

sjessen, Cam15 and YoungsLC like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    YoungsLC

YoungsLC LawnSite Member

Exactly i think if i could get over the rejection fear I'll be okay but i can definitely write up a pitch and practice thank you guys so much

MILLC and Cam15 like this.
  9. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

As Davidson said above, try to look professional. You decide who to hire...

upload_2020-1-13_18-43-45.jpeg

upload_2020-1-13_18-45-50.jpeg

upload_2020-1-13_18-48-29.jpeg

upload_2020-1-13_18-49-9.jpeg

10. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

Long time ago my job was to go door to door and solicit leads for a home improvement company. Best thing to do is to accept most people will tell you no. It's nothing personal. If I remember correctly we would use the stat or 75 no to 1 yes. This was for lead generation. Then maybe 1% of that turned to sales.