Brick cutter?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by CapeMay609, Oct 28, 2019.

1. CapeMay609

CapeMay609 LawnSite Member

Hey everyone, I'm very new to doing retaining walls. That's about the only hardscaping we do right now. I've done about 4 Walls so far. Nothing crazy big. But I absolutely love it.

Question is what is a decent cheaper brick cutter I could buy? I just dont know where to start looking. I do not want anything expensive right off the bat. But I do want something decent. If anyone can lead me in the right direction thank you!!

(Below is a picture of the bricks we are cutting)

20191027_165202.jpg

2. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

Any saw you can fit a diamond blade to will work to get started.

Cam15 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    CapeMay609

Thank you. I did order a diamond blade for my angle grinder. I have some heavy duty face and head protection but I think that is my best bet for now

4. Mudly

Mudly LawnSite Senior Member

Miter box with a diamond blade probably your most inexpensive option. That’s not a brick that’s a concrete block. There are different diamond blades that will effect its longevity pay attention to what u buy and what you’re cutting

Cam15 likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    CapeMay609

Thank you

6. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Senior Member

For now a grinder with a 5 inch diamond blade should work. Score the block on all 3 sides and cut as deep as you can on the face. Then use a wide chisel and rock hammer to break the block. This will not work too well on larger 6 inch block and you should be looking at a cutoff saw with a 12 or 14 inch diamond blade in the future for cutting block. They usually run about $1000 for the saw and blade.

7. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

The proper saw for hardscape is only about $1000.00 or so.
    4 walls would have carried enough profit to buy one by now.
    Also... you can rent saws and include the cost of it in your wall price.

Cam15 and hort101 like this.
  8. TomH&H

TomH&H LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Coopersburg, PA

Good on the face and head protection using a handheld saw. Watch your neck too. A friend of mine was just killed last winter cutting a piece of concrete pipe with a diamond blade. Something kicked back and caught him in the neck. Other guys on the jobsite said he yelled, grabbed his neck, started running toward the truck but bled out, collapsed and died about 25 feet from where he started. Not trying to be morbid or anything, just a reminder that things can happen quickly when cutting concrete.

hort101 likes this.
  9. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

You should also be wet cutting dust is toxic to your lungsThumbs Up

Tara Ann likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    CapeMay609

Everyone thank you. Thank you. This site has always given me good advice. I'm going to be looking into getting a stihl cut off saw. Stihl seems to have some options

Cam15, hort101 and Tara Ann like this.