1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Brick oven over fireplace help.

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by alexschultz1, Jul 14, 2014.

1. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Ya, I'm leaning towards a clay oven. It's a project that is out there, but no hurry. I'm doing all my homework on the installation. Reinforcing it is the challenge right now.

Thinking of making a form, adding fiber to the mix, and a wire mesh. Our winters are extreme from sub zero, to a nice January thaw.

I've also considered doing
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

There's a book called Build Your Own Earth Oven by Kiko Denzer. It's way out there - this book is written for people who will seriously throw mud and straw on a tarp and dance on it barefoot to make the clay for the oven - but there's really solid info about how these ovens actually work.

Have you looked at any of the kits? We did a kit oven (dome) for one of my winery clients and they're cranking out 100-150 pizzas every Sunday. Cost was actually really reasonable and we were still able to dress it out to look like a big ol' stone oven.

3. White Gardens

Hmmmmm, I'll have to look into it more. I didn't think to go outside the box of our normal suppliers and think restaurant sized, which is what the client really wants. He wants to do 4 pizzas at a time, so it's a smaller commercial size I guess.

4. White Gardens

I started looking around, seems to be a few kits to choose from. I was thinking way to much on the side of hand building it. Looks like with the domes, insulation and a gap between your masonry and the dome, then your good to go to craft around it if need be.

Thanks

5. PaperCutter

The kit we did, I'm considering becoming a dealer for them because it's a good product and they're US based, so lead time and freight aren't a killer. If he wants to go with a better-known brand name (albeit with a price tag), Forno Bravo does kits too. PM me if you want me to send you the pics and specs of what we did. Definitely learned a few things along the way.

The one for my yard, I'm building from scratch because I'm cheap and I'll spend the winter cutting and stacking fire brick, but I think the kits are a great way to go for clients.

6. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Link to any of these kits? My neighbor wants one

7. PaperCutter