1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Briggs 18.5 42A707 runs rough after getting hot

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by tminnie, Jul 4, 2006.

1. tminnie

tminnie LawnSite Member

Greeting!
    I have a Briggs 42a707 that is driving me crazy!:hammerhead:
    It is mounted on a lawn tractor.
    Now the meat of the problem:
    After running at full RPM (while cutting), after about 30-mins. it acts like it is starving for fuel. Sometimes by pulling the chock out, I can get it running somewhat. But after letting it cool down, I can restart it, runs great at low/high RPM. I've let this thing run at idol for almost an hour, and it will run fine. I've totally cleaned the engine, checked/replaced all filters, flushed fuel system, new gas. checked carb inside and out (floats, needle/seat). It seems like it is vapor locking. My next move is to get a fuel pump repair kit, but I'm on an limited budget. HELP!!! I have lawns to cut, and at this rate, I'd be better off with a push mower.:laugh:

2. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Taking into account what you have already done, is your fuel cap venting properly?

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Same thing I was thinking newz.....

4. tminnie

tminnie LawnSite Member

Yep, checked that too.. even took it apart to see if there was something "living" in it. Could blow air through it. This problem just started a few weeks ago. If's been running fine up until than. At first I thought it was a bad tank of gas, but I emptied it out, and did a flush. Now I checked the fuel tank and it's 1/4 full.

5. tminnie

tminnie LawnSite Member

First off, I'd like to say Thank You! for a fast reply to my post. I have done the following, and as of now, I think you guys where on to something. I took apart the gas cap and removed the check-valve seal. I didn't find anything living in it, checked the foam button to make sure it was clean. Filled the take to full and ran it full tilt for over 30-mins. and it ran perfect. Guess it was the gas cap.....I have a large job to do tomorrow, and we'll see what happens. Thanks again!!! You guys are great. ----- Tom

6. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

If it does it again, snatch the cap off the tank, put it back on and see if it runs OK at WOT for another 30 min. You _are_ most likely 'running out of gas' for one reason or another; and I do not mean because of an empty tank.

7. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

Oh
    Forgot to mention; is it possible you have a fuel line collapsing after the engine compartment heats up?
    I don't know, it sounds good to me.