Briggs 19HP Single Cylinder Flooding

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Doublewide6, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Doublewide6

Doublewide6 LawnSite Member

So I have this engine on a zero turn that needs to crank a lot to start. Sometimes it will not fire so I have to remove the New air filter and it starts right up. Spark looks good, I feel the engine is too rich to start sometimes. Choke is definitely off. What can I adjust to lean out the mixture? The engine and machine run fine once started.

2. Walker56

Walker56 LawnSite Silver Member

What model engine/carb? Have you checked the float level to ensure that it is not set too high? What does the plug look like after the engine starts and runs? Is there any indication of a rich condition even though the engine runs fine?

hort101 and sjessen like this.
  3. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Platinum Member

Look, yer problem is more than likely a leakin' inlet needle/seat. Replace the rubber tipped needle and inspect the seat fer wear, scratches etc. I use a bit of scotchbrite pad inserted in the needle bore and twisted around with a special plastic screwdriver, but a cut down popsicle stick also works. Then spray the carb out and clean /tighten everything up.
    Google nikki carb, fer more, if that's whats on there

hort101 likes this.
  4. Doublewide6

Thanks for the tips. I put a new carb on as well. It is the Nicki carb and the Intek engine. I'm going to charge the battery up as it seems it is cranking slower than it should. If I pull the plug when it is not starting it is not wet or flooded. Plug color looks good.

5. Walker56

If you put a new carb on, I doubt that is the issue. When was the last time you checked/adjusted the valves?

sjessen likes this.
  6. hal

hal LawnSite Senior Member
    from Georgia

So you are not getting gas if it is not flooding? What do you mean by 'rich'.

7. Doublewide6

I just adjusted the valves and it made no difference. By rich I mean too much fuel, but the plug is not soaking wet if I pull it after it does not fire.

8. Walker56

Doublewide6, did this issue just start or has it gotton progressively worse over time? Did you have the same problem with the old air filter?

sjessen likes this.
  9. Doublewide6

I got the machine used to fix up. I don't know the history. The old air filter was clogged up, so I drilled some holes in the end of it so it would start why I waited for the new air filter to arrive. I'm going to check out the spark a bit better it may be weak possibly. I also need to look at the flywheel key it may be partially sheered. Anything else I'm missing here?

10. Walker56

You are right, go back to the basics. Get an inline spark tester and check it, this way you can see it and there wont be any question. Normally, the indications of a partially sheared or sheaed key would be backfiring or no start etc. you said the engine runs fine once started.

sjessen likes this.