1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Briggs 31HP diesel won't start

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by greenerlandscapes, May 25, 2008.

1. greenerlandscapes

greenerlandscapes LawnSite Member

I have a Briggs/Daihatsu diesel on a Scag Sabre Tooth Tiger that will not start. The starter turns the engine just fine but it will not start. I charged the battery to make sure voltage was high enough. (I know my Ford won't start if voltage drops below a certain point) I even tried to spray a little starting fluid and got nothing. It just cranks and cranks. I check two fuses and both were good. Any thoughts on this or anyone seen similar?

2. greenerlandscapes

Found out the problem. It must have a small leak somewhere that allows the fuel to drain back. I pumped the primer (after I found it) while cranking and it is running fine. Shut it off and it fire right back up.

3. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

I was going to say it's gotta be fuel related, glad to hear you got it running, is it turbo charged.

4. greenerlandscapes

Yes, it is a turbo diesel. Very strong motor and has not given me any problems in the past. Now I just need to find out why it is losing prime like that.

5. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

Sweat!! sounds like you know what your doing, you'll figure it out