1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

Briggs/ billygoat engine help needed!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by xxwhiteneonxx, Mar 13, 2018.

1. xxwhiteneonxx

xxwhiteneonxx LawnSite Member

So i picked up this old billygoat awhile ago and shot some paint on it and made the elbow out of semi truck exhaust and made a flange like factory. Anyways, my problem when first buying it was the welch plug was ready to fall out of it. i asked my buddy about it and he said replace it. so i did. after installing the new welch plug, it continued to puddle fuel right below the air filter. Talked with a buddy who said possible float issues or jet issues. Took it all apart and saw no issues but a rebuild kit was 45$ and i found an assembled carb new for 30$ so i went ahead and ordered it.

I installed the new carb today and it was still dripping gas. Now, it may not be an issue due to the fact i had to pull it 100x initially to get it running. So it is possible i may have flooded it. Well with that set aside for right this second, i got it to fire first pull everytime but when i do so the rpms go wild and i cannot control them. I see a bunch of people talking about the govenor being the issue and such but i find that hard to beleive as im using my han and manually holding the throtle closed and it continues to rev uncontrollably. So imho that cant be it.

Im open to suggestions of what to try next. Otherwise this thing is going on craiglist. Tired of playing with it i have more important stuff to do.

2. xxwhiteneonxx

3. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Platinum Member

One thing with them carbs is the main jet tapered sealing/seating area. If yer new bootleg carb jet ain't tight, well yer gonna have problems.
    Also, the threaded hole in the carb bottom needs to be plugged. I would cover that small hole also 'till ya get it runnin' right.
    Ya wanna make sure the inlet needle isn't leakin' on it also.
    Myself, I woulda ran a cyl. leakdown test on it first off...

4. xxwhiteneonxx

My briggs carb has that hole in the bottom as well. i saw where the main jet not being seated was an issue. Before i get picky with it, id like to figure out the wide open throttle issue. Im unsure of what would cause that. Vaccum leak?
  5. xxwhiteneonxx

oh also that threaded hole in the bottom was for the air cleaner which is on now
  6. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Platinum Member

Yer right. Brain fart...
  7. xxwhiteneonxx

any idea on the high revving?