Briggs to Kohler Engine Swap Wiring??

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Doublewide6, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Doublewide6

Doublewide6 LawnSite Member

I removed a briggs 22HP twin Intek Vertical engine and have have installed a Kohler CV16S 43526. There are three wires from the John Deere D140 Gray, Black, Red. The Kohler has 4 wires Red, Black, White, Yellow. I got everthing working, but I was not sure where the black wire from the JD harness should go? I believe it went to ground on the solenoid on the old engine. The Kohler has a spark advance module. The battery is only showing about 13.10 volts when testing to see if it is charging. Not sure where to run the black wire on the JD harness, and don't know if the Kohler wire harness needs anything connected to the White (to spark advance) and yellow to stator. The lights work too, but 13.10VDC charging seems low to me, but I'm not sure.
    http://www.kohlerengines.com/engines/onlinecatalog/pdf/tp_2339_d.pdf
    Section 8-10

2. OP
    OP
    Doublewide6

Doublewide6 LawnSite Member

Update: The black wire on the tractor is the kill wire. None of the safety switches were working, so I connected the kill wire to the white kill wire on the kohler and it is fixed. The charging is working the battery is at 12.6V and while running it is at 13.10, it is a little lower than I thought it would be, but it seems to be working.

Breezmeister likes this.