Briggs : too much compression to start

jhanes

LawnSite Member
Got a 15.5 Briggs OHV...I replaced the head gasket due to a minimal leak...put everything back together and when trying to start, i broke the rope as well as the recoil parts..Tried putting the head back on with the piston at different positions and still no lu8ck. the engine turns freely without the spark plug. I have no idea? any help would be appriciated!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks!

Restrorob

LawnSite Fanatic
Putting the head on with the piston in different positions does nothing.

Adjust the valves to spec and it should run;

piston slapper

LawnSite Platinum Member
Nailed it again....RestoRob....some of us are getting a little envious.....
That supercomputer with all that info at your beck and call......
May be time to level the playing field.....pool our money....and hire a ......

You got it goin on.....good stuff......
Posted via Mobile Device

piston slapper

LawnSite Platinum Member
Check the valves again...replacing the head gasket would not affect the ACR.
If it was ok before the new head gasket...nothing but the valve adjustment has changed.
Posted via Mobile Device

Techno

LawnSite Member
I dont know why the governor would have went bad just by changing a head gasket. Did you get the push rods back in the lifters and rocker arms right way? Did you change the spark plug out from a short nose to a long nose? When you changed head gasket did you flood engine with fuel from carburetor?

Restrorob

LawnSite Fanatic
someone mentioned to me it might be the compression release mechanism

Check the compression release by turning the flywheel the direction of rotation with the spark plug out, Watch the intake valve open and close. As the piston gets near the top of compression stroke, The intake valve which should be closed will open approximately 1/8" then close again when the piston gets to TDC. If the valve doesn't open there's an issue with the release which is part of the camshaft.....

Did you rotate the crank so the piston was 1/4" PAST TDC compression stroke before adjusting the valves ?

Restrorob

LawnSite Fanatic
That supercomputer with all that info at your beck and call......

Haha, Supercomputer AND three host sites loaded down with pretty pics and info....

I've jus been play'n this "Dear Abby" gig too long..... :)

JCLawn and more

LawnSite Fanatic
I got a simple solution, a bad timing key. It would explain the bad compression too. I have had it happen a million times.
Posted via Mobile Device