Briggs Vanguard 26 hp motor on a Ferris Walkbehind-failure

breeden

LawnSite Member
I just wondered if anyone had problems with a Ferris Fw 35 walkbehind with a Vanguard 26 hp engine. I have one that experienced severe damage because a Crankcase breather tube became disconnected. It was underneath the Flywheel and engine cover. I had serviced it on time every time at 75 hrs with Mobil one 15w50 and cleaned the air filter on schedule.

OP
B

breeden

LawnSite Member
The cause of the failure was the crankcase breather to the carb. was off and the engine ingested a lot of dirt. The dirt caused the blown head gaskets and internal wear of the engine. These days it takes a fight to get major engine failure taken care of. You need to have good service records.

douglee25

LawnSite Senior Member
The cause of the failure was the crankcase breather to the carb. was off and the engine ingested a lot of dirt. The dirt caused the blown head gaskets and internal wear of the engine. These days it takes a fight to get major engine failure taken care of. You need to have good service records.
10-4. That's hard for folks like me who basically do all the work themselves.

OP
B

breeden

LawnSite Member
Yes , the only way to see the breather tube is to take the engine cover and flywheel off. The main thing is to keep up with all your service records in a book or on a computer like I do. It is also a good idea to only use the manufacturers oil filter. The little money you save may cost you thousands if they deny warranty.