1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Brillion or landpride seeder

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jrlandscaping781, May 4, 2007.

1. jrlandscaping781

jrlandscaping781 LawnSite Member

Any opinions from epople who have used a brillion or landpride seeder as to which one is better? Looking to make a purchase soon to use for lawn installs. One other question...do you take one pass, or do you take 2 with one 90 deg to the first?

2. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Never heard of it, please give details of it.
    Mike

3. jrlandscaping781

jrlandscaping781 LawnSite Member

4. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Can't say anything good or bad about landpride seeders, but imho, Brillion is the way to go. I used one when I worked for a sod farm, and I use one on my own farm and for landscaping. Whichever you pick, one sentence of advice: Don't let the sun set on a box with seed in it-empty with a shopvac every time you are done with it.:waving: :waving:

5. chris638

chris638 LawnSite Member

Definetely a brillion seeder. Anything over one acre, we always use it. It takes a little longer to emerge, but always end up with great results.

6. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Brillion for new seeding on well prepared soil and a Landpride for overseeding or hard compacted soils.

Nelson Tractor company in Blairsville Ga. has a used/almost new 4ft Landpride setting on their lot for sale. 3pt hitch, PTO driven, would work great with a compact tractor. Dont know the price.

7. jonlavonne

jonlavonne LawnSite Member

We have always used a Land Pride powered rake followed by a Brillion seeder and achieved good results. We sold the Brillion this year and purchased the new APS by Land Pride. Unfortunately it's raining non-stop here ,so we haven't been able to try it out. Look's like a great machine tho! We used the seed doubling sprocket on the Brillion as we use turf fescues here. The Brillion does require a very smooth seedbed over it's width.

8. Oasis-Outdoor

Oasis-Outdoor LawnSite Member

I am somewhat biased because Land Pride implements are made here in Kansas. You see a lot of both their primary and overseeders here. I have used their overseeder behind a 50 H.P. John Deer tractor and it is a well built product. On the other hand Brillion implements have been around for a long time and have a reputation of reliablility. Guess you will just have to decide according to price and availability in your area. Good luck with whatever you choose.