Broad spectrum broadleaf product for southern texas

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by SCLawnCareCo, Apr 16, 2018 at 8:31 PM.

1. SCLawnCareCo

SCLawnCareCo LawnSite Member

Looking for some recommendations. Southern Texas, mostly St Augustine. We have been using Manor/MSM for about a year for anytime we want to do a blanket herbicide for broadleaf weeds. However we are not liking some of the side effects on some of the properties we treated.

We use to Celsius for this person. However it can be expensive and seems to stubd the growth on St Augustine. We still use Celsius for spot spraying some of the hard to kill weeds.

Any suggestions?

Right now we are doing very few herbicide blanket sprays. But we bound to get some new customers with lots of weeds that needs the full spray.

Thanks for the help.

2. tcparker428

tcparker428 LawnSite Member
    from NC

Speed zone southern could be a possibility. Can be sprayed on all warm season turf, you just can't spray in temps over 80

SCLawnCareCo likes this.
  3. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Ark

Any particular broadleaf that's giving you trouble? I find SA pretty tolerant of MSM but Celsius does seem to stunt it so I avoid using it on SA. Maybe the other factors are not in place such as wrong timing, grass under fertilized or under some type of stress. At what rate are you using? Other chems are simazine, atrazine, Certainty & more

4. SCLawnCareCo

We have been using the rate of .025 oz per K. We recently just that rate in half. One example of an unwated side effside is that it caused some leaves on an oak tree to wilt. When we talked to the supplier, he said he has recently had reports from other companies about the same thing.

We also use certainty but mostly for poannua and other sedges.
    i

5. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

I must be living right. Never saw St Augustine stunted by Celsius. I do use a 3 oz rate at 50 gallon per acre application volume. This is on St Augustine that is well watered and on a good fertility program. I do not touch lawns that are not fertilized. Those have a high incidence of adverse reactions to even products considered safe. Lawns that go through alternating drought followed by flash flooding are also out. Can't keep chemicals in the lawn. Next flood puts it straight into either the water table or nearby streams.

6. greendoctor

0.025 is equal to 1 oz per acre. That is a high rate of MSM. What are you trying to kill with that high a rate? I apply the equivalent of 0.3-0.5 oz per acre. That wilting Oak might not be around in a year. MSM will kill trees at rates 1 oz or higher on sandy soils or in high rainfall areas. Product goes straight down to the roots, just like when it is used for bare ground weed control.

7. SCLawnCareCo

We have alot of flash flooding and drought. But for spot spraying problem weeds, certainty works well. Because of the cost, we avoid using it as a blanket spray.

Normally premergent makes it so we wouldn't have to blanket spray very much. However this year has been different. Lost of rain this spring and lots of st August had some winter kill as a result of several unusual Frosts this winter. Weeds have been thriving.

8. greendoctor

In that case, either Celsius or MSM are good. Just be conscious of your rate applied. I calculate based on oz per acre and divide down to 1000 sq ft increments. In many cases, the measuring devices that come with the bottle are not good enough. I will weigh out on a small digital scale. I will also convert to metric so that it is not in thousandths of an ounce. Milligrams per 1000 sq ft are numbers I can work with. I also find that the lower end of the rates work well when applied at that 50 gallons per acre with a good surfactant. I use Methylated Seed Oil when it is below 85 and switch to non ionic surfactant when it is hotter. When possible, I want to be done killing emerged weeds before it gets above 85. NIS is used when I have a new account that needs weed control in the summer.

Certainty is something I save for sedges. I do not consider it a general broadleaf weed control.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018 at 10:31 PM
  9. greendoctor

I hope you are using different spray equipment from what you use to apply Three Way to cool season grasses. The weeds in cool season grasses readily die from being watered with 2,4-D and Dicamba. The grass also tolerates the high rates used for that application as well.

A number of members here have had success applying at 10-25 gallons per acre through a ride on sprayer with a boom on warm season grasses. I use a higher volume for increased safety to the turf and for drift control.

10. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Ark

The 1 oz. rate is way too high IMO. I think you can control most weeds at half that rate or lower. I only go as high as .50 and that is under ideal conditions only, most of the time I'm at .25 or .33.

greendoctor likes this.