1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

broadleaf weeds

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by ccorts, Sep 8, 2004.

1. ccorts

ccorts LawnSite Member

As the growing season is ending in Michigan, I am still experiencing quite a bit of weed growth in my yard. This is in addition to the quackgrass. I will apply a preemergent next spring to take care of the quackgrass as I understand it is an annual. My question is this: Should I apply a weed killer to address the other weeds now, or will the preemergent take care of those also? Are dandelions annuals?

2. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

As long as the weeds are actively growing, you can expect some control from broadleaf chemicals. Go ahead and do it now. You should also plan on a pre emergent in the spring. Dandelions are perennials, they have a taproot which enables them to store food over the winter and begin actively growing again in the spring.

3. BigDave

BigDave LawnSite Member

I have the same situation. My property is 2 acres. I have never treated for broadleaf weeds before. After some research, my plan is to buy 6 bottles of Ortho Weed-B-Gone, with the hose-end sprayer. I'm told that I don't have to "soak" the ground, just lightly cover it; on a non-rainy day; and that Spring & Fall (including right now here in MD) are the best times.