• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Broken Belt At 90 Hours

Scagguy

LawnSite Bronze Member
I had a belt break on my Scag Z cat today. It had 90 Hrs on it when it broke. I scalped a yard with it last week and I'm sure that was placing a load on everything. Is this just a premature breakage or does scalping an 8500 sq ft lot really stress out the blade belt? I always maintain my equipment, spindle greased every 8-10 hours, blades sharpened every 6-8 hours. Any input?

richard1103

LawnSite Member
i think your blade spindle will last longer with less grease

SoloSulkySurfer

LawnSite Member
I had a belt break on my 33" after just one hour when I first bought it. It happened to be covered under the warranty, but I bet the dealer tightened the belt to much and that was the reaseon for my breakage.

Mark

LawnSite Senior Member
:usflag: Just wondering why you were scapling the lawn so much, don't you have a deck lift peddle, that prob- did cause the belt to get weak and snap.

.Still if you cut alot of taller grass down so low that really puts a strain on your belts, Ive replaced two cutter deck belts on my scag 52 walkbehind its two yrs old ive got 987hrs on it, i use it where i can't get my rider on or gated back yds. Marks Mowing Service

lawnspecialties

LawnSite Silver Member
I just replaced both belts on my 60" SuperZ last week. Neither one broke; just doing it for preventive maintenance. 700 hours on both belts but I never scalp a yard for anyone.:)