1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Broken blade

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Richard Martin, Jul 8, 2000.

1. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Details are a bit sketchy but here's what I know. A Prince Georges County Maryland mowing crew cutting grass Friday had a mower blade either break or come loose from a mower. The blade hit one house and ricocheted off and then penetrated another house. The blade then broke a mirror on a wall showering a 4 month old baby with broken glass which cut the baby. The blade is reported to have weighed 15 pounds which might indicate that it was on a flail mower.

2. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

I hope the baby is okay, THATS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING!!!<p>As far as the biz side of this goes, the company better hope it broke off and it didn't come loose. They could be charged with some kind of neglegence I think. If you've ever seen a flail mower the blades are on drums, and I don't think they could come off. On a batwing though, those blades are usually about 10-20 lbs and I could defenitely see one of those things flying off if it cracked around the bolt.<p>Keep us postd on the details<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti