Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever had this happen:

What I don't understand is that I was just mowing when it broke ,I didn't hit anything.:confused: And it looks like its been breaking for a while.Its suppused to be a solid rod ,but its got grease between the parts except inthe light gray spot which was evidently the last spot to go.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Originally posted by j_loppy

In all seriousness, I would like to see those pics...

Sorry about your bad luck. [/B]
Here I was wondering if it was my computer messin' up. Glad you put that in your response.

x-mow, is there any way you could try to resubmit those pictures on this thread? Can't tell what your talking about from your description. Thanks.

·
Registered
975 Posts
You've caught me off guard. I too thought those were solid. Have to agree with J&R on the weld breaking. Is the whole caster filled with grease, or is it just around the break? If the caster is solid, but has grease around the point where it broke then grease would have come from the support it fits into.

·
Banned
2,382 Posts
It's a caster from a Toro isn't it?
I've owned four of them.
I had one castor break off like that.
It was a bad weld from the factory. The way they assemble them by putting the shaft thru the wheel yoke before welding reinforces it. It can take years for it to finally snap off.
Good news is it's real easy to fix. The only thing that broke is just the old weld. Just gind it out really good.
might mention to the welder to line the lock pin hole up, front to rear, or you'll have to watch that thing mowing sideways from then on. (don't ask me how I know this)

Mine was just a slag weld like they forgot to turn the gas on on their MIG welder. It was a wonder to me how it lasted that long.

Congradulations on not mowing over the wheel when it broke.
I ran over mine destroying the tire and put a big old nick in the yoke. It didn't hurt the spindle though. those mowers are tough!

Dave

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's an exmark mower and the rod IS solid all the way through the yoke (except where it broke the weld still looks perfect its holding the end of the rod in the yoke.

The mower is less than 2 years old.Bought it feb. 2002 so it should be under warranty.

·
Banned
2,382 Posts
Originally posted by X-mow
The mower is less than 2 years old
I thought that shaft looked to be it good condition. I've never heard of a solid shaft snapping off before. It must be some kind of defect.

If you had that one rewelded it would probably come out shorter and mess up all of your spacers. I'd take it back to the dealer.

Let us know how it comes out.

Dave

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
That used to happen to us many years ago on old BobCats.

It appears that the shaft is the same length as when assembled. And just the weld broke. OK, easy enough. Have it repaired and or buy a new caster. A spare is nice to have around anyway.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I welded it back together and it did change the spacers a little but only like about 1/16th of an inch and I think that wheel was a little high anyway. It doesn't make a noticable difference anywhere.

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
But it's only$23 for a brand new one, I'd a just tossed it away. Not worth my time to fix it.

Amazing how dependent a mower is on BOTH front casters, huh!?

Definately a defect in materials and workmanship. Grease had been entering the cavity for quite some time.

I'd say its warranty, though actual warranty expired this past February for you. Push and see what they'll do for you. Either way for less than a family dinner at McDonalds you'd have a new one.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Originally posted by TLS
But it's only$23 for a brand new one, I'd a just tossed it away. Not worth my time to fix it.

Amazing how dependent a mower is on BOTH front casters, huh!?

Definately a defect in materials and workmanship. Grease had been entering the cavity for quite some time.

I'd say its warranty, though actual warranty expired this past February for you. Push and see what they'll do for you. Either way for less than a family dinner at McDonalds you'd have a new one.
Yeah I'll probably replace it ,if it breaks again. :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.