• Landscape Lighting Design: Bright Ideas
    With outdoor spaces more popular than ever, lighting these landscapes may be your next opportunity. Click here to learn more.

Broken Window

sjhebert40

LawnSite Member
I sent guys out yesterday to do a few yards. I had a phone call this morning advising me we had broke a back door window. Last year I purchased 2 window without asking any questions. Since then I have been told my several homeowners and business owners I am not responsible. I do not put the rocks on the ground and accidents happen. My guys are usually good about telling me about problems and I have never given them a hard time when they are honest with me. They are never afraid of telling me when something bad happens. We all know accidents happen. And I always pay without any questions. When I asked them this morning they were really shocked and said they did not hear anything. That is still not to say it did not happen. I read other post and they say just turn it over to insurance. We all know how insurance works and if you have a $500 deductible what good does it do to turn it in unless the window if well over the $500. I know it is probably good PR to repair this and keep a customer. But bottom line, if this went to small claims court, does anyone know who wins or loses if there is no proof of the lawn care company is actually in the wrong. This window could have been broke before we got there by a neighbor?

Last edited:

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

LawnSite Senior Member
If your equipment moved the rock, then your responsible! Do they have the rock that broke the window? I'm thinking it should be right there by the door. If its your customer, I'd replace the window no questions asked. If its a neighbor, I'd ask a few questions. Bottom line though, reputation may be worth just fixing it.

SangerLawn

LawnSite Senior Member
Last year I broke a $1,200 stain glass door. It wasn’t my employees that did it, it was me with a string trimmer. The trimmer picked up a rock and slung it into the glass of the door. I never heard a thing but the customer came outside while we were still there. I walked over to the door and could still here the glass cracking. There was no rock any where on the ground or in the glass but without a doubt, I broke the door.

In my opinion and probably the courts also, you are responsible just simply because you were on the property. More then likely if you don’t replace it the customer won’t take you to court but will never use you again. To make things even worse…no matter how good your work is, most of the time customers wont get excited enough to really help spread your name……BUT… if the customer gets upset they will tell the world how bad your service is.

Just fix the glass, write it off on your taxes and forget about it.

nepatsfan

LawnSite Gold Member
if its just a regular double hung window that isnt huge you should be able to replace the glass for around $100. If the glass company has to come to them it is more. Just replace it and apologize up and down. They will probably refer you to more people knowing that you stand behind your work like that. Accidents happen people understand that.

ProcsLC

LawnSite Member
Isn't this why we all carry insurance, to protect us from when things (like this) happen? Without a doubt i would either pay for it or submit it to the insurance company based on repair cost. Your integrity and name is on the line, do the right thing and fix it. Why even chance it in court? I understand how your brain is trying to balance the lesser of two evils here, but doing what's right is always just that... What's right.

IN2MOWN

LawnSite Platinum Member
Just pay it.

nepatsfan

LawnSite Gold Member
Isn't this why we all carry insurance, to protect us from when things (like this) happen? Without a doubt i would either pay for it or submit it to the insurance company based on repair cost. Your integrity and name is on the line, do the right thing and fix it. Why even chance it in court? I understand how your brain is trying to balance the lesser of two evils here, but doing what's right is always just that... What's right.
Why would you go through insurance for something so small. Your deductible would cost more than the repair? :hammerhead:
You should fix it but don't go through insurance

daveintoledo

LawnSite Silver Member
then find out why your breaking windows and fix that....

running trimmers wide open isnt needed and usually what fligs stones really fast and hard.... maybe just the rpms needed to trim the grass

hope it all works out good for you

JohnnyRocker

LawnSite Senior Member
I did this last year. I think it was from the trimmer. I don't know. I didn't even realize the window was broken. There was a handyman/painter at the house also. But when I got the email from my customer about the window, I paid for it, no questions. His handyman made money from it, though. Hmmm....