Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Relatives, what to do with them? Bro-in-law's tractor breaks down, "Can I borrow one of your mowers?" Me; (Christ, Not Again!) "Sure, come pick it up". He worked with me one summer 7+ years ago, so is familiar with the machines (Never hire relatives!). Give him one of my older belt drives (Exmark Metro 48"), actually one that we use regularly because our "backup" mowers are not available at the moment. I get the dreaded call later;

"The mower broke! It won't run. I mowed my neighbor's lawn, and my front lawn, now it won't go forward. It's not my fault!"

(Okay. Let's go over this. 1. WHAT are you doing mowing the neighbor's lawn {for money!} with my commercial mower?? 2. WHAT, was someone else running it?? 3. OR, it was just sitting there, no one around, when suddenly it broke??) Of course, I don't say any of this.

Me: "Okay, I'll be over"

Go over to his house. Fortunately, one of the drive belts had just slipped off a pulley, probably when it was being pulled backwards. Fix that, all is well.

You know, it is bad enough borrowing equipment from someone who is using it to make a living, but then to mow another lawn with it... And then, of course, whenever I lend him something (usually once or twice a year), something always go wrong with it. Offered to sell him one of my older wb mowers, "Oh, I don't have any money". He is my brother-in-law, so I'm kind of stuck.

Sorry, just ranting. Have to go back out and mow!

·
Registered
607 Posts
I understand, I really do, but,......if you were a carpenter would you be loaning your hammer and saw out to someone you know will break or lose them.
You closed with ".....Have to go out and mow!"

There's your out.

Former employee or not, relative or not, those mowers put food on your familys table. I can't loan any longer due to 'new' insurance regs. but I'll be over to cut your lawn for you as soon as I have time. (Go when you actually have extra time.) You can probably cut it (not trim, edge or blow) faster than retrieving a damaged mower. (probably cheaper than fixing the mower)

Here's another thought. When you go over there take your wife along. Let her brag about your sucesses to his wife.......she will probably make his non-life so miserable, he wont want you to come back for a looooooonnnnnggg time. End of problem...LOL

Good luck my friend....Jim

·
Registered
743 Posts
Or I hate this, "Could You Give Me A Free Mow." I hate that. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
I dont loan my gear out. I do things for family like when my uncle had shoulder surgery and couldnt run his tractor I went and mowed his yard for about a month. But in return he does all my welding and fab work N/C.

Sometimes it can work well but most the time NOT. My Brother in law does work with me sometimes when I need extra help but its rare you can find someone that does his quality in your family.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Family can be a touchy thing. I don't have many relatives so I'm doing alright with stuff like borrowing equip and money. I wish I had a big family though. I got my dad mom sister aunt and more aunts and cousins that live far away. a couple states away.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Funny, I've got a brother-in-law and sister-in-law that borrow my mowers to cut there 2 ac. yard. My mother-in-law had a nice JD rider for sale and ask them if they wanted to buy it and I told my wife "they won't buy it they are using mine for free" and most times don't put gas back in it. They run out and say "your mower ran out of gas so we put $5 back in it." When they went on vacation I have decided to cut it 1 time for the cost of gas plus labor and now they are like you can cut it each time. Man I'm a sucker!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
i have the same problem with my truck. i drive a truck all year because i need it. they drive a little car or sports car because it saves gas or is fun to drive. then they want to move something or buy somthing. they dont want to pay the deliverly cost so they ask for my truck. im thinking "RENT ONE" this is my transportation all year and they see it as something for them to use whenever they need it. its sucks to say no because you are the bad guy.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I purposely have loaner, goat mowers.
I call 'em goat mowers because they only mow the crap that goats eat. This crap is usually what their front yards look like.
And if one gets banged up, I'm not worried about it.

·
Registered
14,691 Posts
I have a 15 year old, 12 horsepower B&S equiped, 42" cut rider that I bought for 50 bucks. Whenever someone wants to borrow a mower it's the one I lend them. No-one has asked to borrow a mower in over 2 years now. Same goes for my trimmers. 5 year old, worn out Shindaiwa that has no power.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Cutter LLC said:
Saw a bumper sticker today infact it said "yes this is my truck and no I won't help you move" thought that was great. I need one.
I just got one to solve that problem. I just got a new dump truck. I got at least 20 people who have asked to borrow it. I haven't even owned it for a week yet. Sorry Insurance says I am the only one who can drive it and I don't have time to help you.

I will loan a few minor tools to my guys. But nothing they really can make any money with.

Family (suck because I still live at home). Borrows everything. Girlfriends parents want me to cut their grass for free. Yea right! you live 45 minutes away and have a 1/4 acre. Plus a son that still lives at home.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
To hell with him being your brother-in-law and being "stuck". If it were me,I wouldn't loan him anything else under any circumstances. If you have to, divorce his sister.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.