Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this fall will test the state of my customers economic conditions. Will they go for aeration , seeding and dethatching? This is a big money maker and I just need a little rain to jump start my sales pitch. Right now 90% of my lawns are dormant from no rain in Aug. The forcast for my area is rain on thurs & Friday left over from Fay. I don't know about everone else but I'm hoping for Gustov to send some rain our way as well. This has been a good season so far withjust the right amount of rain except for Aug. and that when I like to take it easy and go on vacation any way. Do your best rain dance now that the olympics are over!

·
Registered
330 Posts
I love aerating. Around here all the other LCO's rent an aerator and starting price for a lawn is $75, with most all of them. If the homeowner rents one they have like $20per hour wrapped up in it. I Bought a cheap 40" pull behind aerator and can do a lawn in about the time it takes to mow. Good deal for the customer when I will do it for $55. They save money I make money we are all happy.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I charge $75 to $100 for 1/4 acre properties depending on site considerations such as hills, fences, and amount of turf. I try and sell seeding along with the aeration as well as lime, starter fert, and even sand where needed. Last years record drought had me selling more dethatching jobs as entire lawns died off . This Aug has brought about the brown lawn syndrome and as soon as it rains I will put on my sales hat and try and generate these services. I recently bought a lazer z hp and having a tow behind might be nice but I usually rent a walkbehind aerator and do multiple jobs per day.

·
Registered
330 Posts
No, not lowballing. Overseeding is not that popular here and although I try to push it on a lot of jobs people just don't want it.

I would go out of business trying to get $375 for an aerate job. It just won't sell for that around here.

$55 for 20 min pulling an aerator around the yard is more than adequate. I know my costs pretty well and make some darn good money on just his one service. Also out here we aerate about 4 times a year instead of the 1 or 2 you guys do back east so if someone signs on for seasonal aerate schedule it is generally $220. Also keep in mind that the properties that are running $55 are 3000sqft or less average homes, not high end 2 or three acre estates.

·
Banned
1,757 Posts
You guys make it sound sooooo easy and big money too. In my area we have to mark all the sprinkler heads before we start, do the small strips and around bed curves and other detail areas with a walk behind. Then there is the little Kubota w/3pt hitch and the 48" at work, plus clean up of the walk and drive and our thousands invested in the truck and trailer, $3200 walk behinds used a month per year, the blowers, and bigger rig, the health insurance and vaca time for the guys, liability insurance, the crews professional rate wages, the secretary in the office and all the other stuff it takes to make this happen. How do you do it?

·
Registered
330 Posts
You guys make it sound sooooo easy and big money too. In my area we have to mark all the sprinkler heads before we start, do the small strips and around bed curves and other detail areas with a walk behind. Then there is the little Kubota w/3pt hitch and the 48" at work, plus clean up of the walk and drive and our thousands invested in the truck and trailer, $3200 walk behinds used a month per year, the blowers, and bigger rig, the health insurance and vaca time for the guys, liability insurance, the crews professional rate wages, the secretary in the office and all the other stuff it takes to make this happen. How do you do it?
SOLO!!!
marking sprinkler heads is quick only takes a couple min.
I only run one truck and trailer so that expense isn't there.
Using a pull behind aerator behind my Z I can get right up next to planting beds. no problems with going around turns a it is not fixed to 3 point hitch as yours is.
Blowers ins. and all other expenses are already covered with revenue from mowing, so again no expense there (beside operating expense eg. fuel maint.)
Like I said solo I don't have to worry about employee expenses, ins., etc. so again no cost for me on that one.

It is big money for my company but it is also a lot of work for me. I have to be very careful with scheduling on extra things like this so I don't schedule more than I can get done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.