1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Brown spot in yard during summer? Fixes?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by johnnybow, Jan 12, 2011.

1. johnnybow

johnnybow LawnSite Member

I dont mow the grass at this customer but i take care of her landcape maitence. I noticed a brown re occuring spot in her front yard about 100 square feet. I was told when the house was built they used a lot of shale and then just spread topsoil over it. It gets so hot it drys it out during the middle of summer. I want to try to fix it for this person. Any suggestions? Basically it needs to hold more moisture in this area during the warm part of the summer. Should i top dress it? should i build the soil up evan higher and replant? Thanks

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Simple--just install irrigation. Or...dig down to discover the real problem. Correct it by removing the offending shale--restore by adding about 12 inches topsoil. JMHO.

3. Southern Elegance

Southern Elegance LawnSite Member

could be a fungus

4. johnnybow

I dont think its a fungus. The whole develepment is known to brown up

5. Hoy landscaping

Hoy landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

had that on a few customers who dont want me to do a grub-ex application.

6. loupiscopolandscaping

loupiscopolandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

check and see how many inches of topsoil are there...if not enough with shale/rock the topsoil might be drying out to quickly...if not its probally fungus/brown patch or an insect/grubs

7. johnnybow

Its in the same spot every year. Would fungus or grubs do that? thanks

8. loupiscopolandscaping

loupiscopolandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

yes...fungus, if the client uses the same lawn apps/ same water program....grubs,id believe if not killed/controlled theyd stay in the soil