1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Brown Stripes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by watatrp, Jul 6, 2001.

1. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone have a good logical explanation for the brown stripes the tires leave in the lawn? I have a bunch of condos that I mow. Mowed them last week. It had been about a week with no rain and temps in the 80's. Of the 42 lawns I mowed, two had the stripes in the lawn where the tires were.

The guys are pretty upset about the stripes. I know it happens occasionally but I can't figure out what causes it. Must have to have just the right conditions or something. I bet Eric can't get my kind of stripes on a consistent basis. :D

2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

the only thing i could suggest is change your traffic
    routes each mow,and mow slow on these problem areas.

3. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

4. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

That last post by GroundKprs is exactly what is happening.

I've found it to be more likely when mowing a wilted lawn on a HOT day in the afternoon. Mow your drought-stresses lawn in the AM and your watered lawns in the PM.

5. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys. I now have some explanations that are so technical that anyone would believe them. It's just hard to explain to a bunch of older folks how when I mowed 42 lawns it only happened to two of them.

6. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Bottom line: They have to water more.

It's not your fault.