1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Brush Clearing Quote?

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by Joseph Walters, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Ticolawnllc

Ticolawnllc LawnSite Senior Member
    from Wall NJ

Seems to me one guy, a truck and a mini should get it done in 1.5 day tops. Considering we are kind of blind on real world conditions. Honestly if you rent the equipment you’ll be working for the rental company. The only way you make money on small stuff like this is by owning the machine.
    If it were a three day job I would say sure rent the machine and go to town.

also nothing wrong with tell the customer the truth on what’s going on. Tell them what the cost are and to go In knowing it could be one day or two depending on if you can A. Get in to everywhere and a ball park on dump fees. You could also get a dumpster. That would give you a flat dump fee.

rclawn likes this.
  2. Jeff@diyokc

Jeff@diyokc LawnSite Member

More slated to asking qualifying questions before time is wasted on a tire kicker! We all have budgets when we purchase stuff, I don’t think service work is any different! When all is said and done, your doing work they can’t or don’t want to do! Like you @rclawn, it’s just my opinion!

3. DLL LLC

DLL LLC LawnSite Member

I agree! The only time a budget should be discussed is for new landscape/plantings. Huge price diffrerence between a #2 Holly Shrub vs #5. I always quote the labor first on installs then ask "Whats your budget because that amount will determine quantity, size and variety. But for clean ups like yours, set your price.

rclawn and Matthews Lawn Care like this.
  4. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Gold Member

The only problem in this situation is there shouldn’t be any fluctuating costs. Labor is set, dump fees are set. The only thing that would change the price is if the contractor estimated time/dump fees wrong.

If you’re unsure of the amount of debris you’ll be taking to the dump quote it higher. For example, if you think it’ll be 2 cu yds, quote it for 4 cu yds. Same goes for the labor. If you think it’ll take 1 day, quote it for 2 days.

It’s a lot easier to bid it high and be able to knock a little off the invoice than it is to bid it low and try to get a customer to pay a higher price.

Jeff@diyokc, Ticolawnllc and rclawn like this.