Brush cutter advice - Husqvarna 525LST vs Makita EM2652LHN vs Efco DS-2700-s

avic

LawnSite Member
I have about 1.5 acres, most of it at fairly steep 30 degree slope, with heavy weeds and brush, some with stalks at about 1/2" or even bit more, not woodsy, yet trimmer string killers :(

considering the steep hill, and my bad back, I am looking for something that is both lightweight, preferably under 11lb, with a strong engine and lots of torque.

I am a software guy, and this will be my first ever small engine, so I would like to get something ultra reliable that is easy for me to maintain.

I understood that 4-stroke requires more maintenance/adjustments, and being a software guy, might be out of my limited mechanical abilities... yet I believe that I am capable of mixing gas and oil :)

I will have to use a metal brush cutting blade, not the string, therefore I'll need a machine that comes with, or can use a metal blade. and that have enough torque to handle the thicker brush.

I will be using it at least twice a week year round for two to four hours at a time to keep up with the weeds...

did some research and these are my notes, I'd love to hear your take on each and/or other brands/models:

Husqvarna 525LST 10.4lb 1.33HP 2- stroke 2yr warranty $340
I like the lightest weight, highest horsepower, low gearing/torque, 2-stroke should have less maintenance/adjustments than 4 stroke, don't mind mixing gas/oil.

Makita EM2652LHN 11.5lb 1.1HP 4-stroke 2yr warranty $370
4-stroke maint/adjust, it is 1lb heavier than 525LST and more expensive

Efco DS-2700-S 12.5lb 1.3HP 2- stroke 5yr warranty comes with a blade $350
2lb heavier than the 525LST, though I like the longest warranty and included blade, yet concerned about parts/service as Efco does not have a local dealer.

I ruled out Honda (heavy/expensive), Echo (carburetor issues), Stihl (don't recall exactly why, but lots of negative reviews)

thanks,

-avic

Valk

LawnSite Platinum Member
Are these true brush cutters in that they have bicycle style/wide-grip handlebars and are 'worn' w/ a wearable strap harness that fits over your arms/shoulders? When used properly, a heavier weight trimmer/brush cutter becomes a whole lot more bearable & comfortable...not to mention SAFER. If so, all these weights sound really light for a brush cutter.

Last edited:
OP
avic

avic

LawnSite Member
Are these true brush cutters in that they have bicycle style/wide-grip handlebars and are 'worn' w/ a wearable strap harness that fits over your arms/shoulders? When used properly, a heavier weight trimmer/brush cutter becomes a whole lot more bearable & comfortable...not to mention SAFER. If so, all these weights sound really light for a brush cutter.
None has bicycle handles, didn’t have any idea that it mattered.

My inexperience shines through :)

Thank you

OP
avic

avic

LawnSite Member
Husqvarna does not seem to make a bicycle handle model. But their blade conversion kit has J handle and harness

Will that be good/safe enough???

Thanks

OP
avic

avic

LawnSite Member
Well I was wrong

The Husqvarna site did not show all the models at least I was not able to see it

But they do have a variation on the 525 which comes with bicycle handles and a blade

525RX

Though it seems that the lower geared higher torque 525RXT is not available in the US

Similarly Makita makes EM2750UH again with bicycle handles and blade, and again no lower gearing

So... now which one?

The Husqvarna is 2-stroke while Makita is 4-stroke lower nominal HP yet supposedly high torque

Thanks

Valk

LawnSite Platinum Member
avic, hopefully someone w/ more brush cutting experience chimes in for you. Given this hill you've got, my advice may not count for much. From what you've described you might even be needing more power than what you've outlined thus far.

Another option is to use a harness for a non-bicycle handled model. Again, I'll defer to others around here w/ more experience.

agrostis

LawnSite Gold Member
You need to get something with the handlebars and the strap. Without those you are going to be done forever in about 2 hours. Just standing on a steep hill is hard enough. Make life a lot easier for yourself. Get and use the strap & handlebars.

OP
avic

avic

LawnSite Member
Thanks

I got a four point harness for the rental I tried

So handlebar wins over low gearing

Question

Can the gearbox be replaced? I.e. buy the handlebar version and if I find that it doesn’t have enough torque, get a replacement lower ratio gearbox from the high torque version of the respective model?

I might just be fretting over nothing. But just in case :)

OP
avic

avic

LawnSite Member
2-stroke 525RX vs 4-stroke EM2650UH?

Which one would you pick for thick (but not woodsy) brush. Stalks about 1/2-3/4”

Not taking into consideration anything else such as weight or maintenance etc