Brush cutting with 18v cordless trimmer

Discussion in 'Alternative Fuel Forum' started by vestaviascott, Jul 2, 2016.

1. vestaviascott

vestaviascott LawnSite Member

I just picked up a CORE "gasless" 18volt lithium-ion powered string trimmer last week. I got it for a song from the Woot.com daily deal site. If I'd known what I know now, I'd bought more. The deal only lasted for a day, but aside from my John Deere lawn tractor, this is the best purchase I've ever made in outdoor power equipment. I'm kicking myself that I could have had an extra power head, battery and charger for $80 bucks and I fooled around and missed it.

But I did get one. And I'm glad I did. I've posted a few videos below.

My home sits on a sloped 1.25 acre lot with a rocky, privet invested, stormwater drainage swale running through the back yard. I've been on the lookout for a brush cutter weed wacker to help me maintain the rapid growth of privet and weeds here.

I'm pretty impressed with the performance of this trimmer. You can check out the technology of the space age motor design on the CORE power website. They've been bought out by MTD and these motors are now powering TroyBilt and Cub Cadet's line of cordless OPE.

In the video below, I'm using the standard bump head that comes with the trimmer (not the Grass Gator Bladed head). It's outfitted with .095 and does a pretty good job. You can get a sense of the torque as it just slices through the heavy brush with ease. Sorry for the video quality. I'm holding my phone in one hand and the trimmer in the other. Luckily it only weighs about 10 pounds!

In the next video, I've swapped out the standard bump head for a Grass Gator Extra Heavy Duty metal bladed head. I was a bit hesitant to do much with this since we are talking about an 18 volt machine (I've since learned that voltage isn't everything).

But the CORE Power folks claim that this motor supplies 25% more torque than a 25cc engine. So I decided to give it a go. I've seen other cordless brushcutters outfitted with metal blades, so that gave me some confidence that the CORE motor was up to the task.

I was hesitant at first, and just spun it a few times to get a feel for how the trimmer was handling the big metal bladed head. But it just seemed to take to it like it was made for it. Effortlessly spinning this monster blade up to 7000 rpms in a split second.

You can hear a couple times I bumped into large privet stumps (5-8 inches across) that I had cut down early Spring of this year with a chain saw. The head bumps away but it doesn't stop the motor. Thankfully, the unique pivot blade design of the GG brush cutter head saves me more than a few times as I bump into these hidden monster privet stumps. Gotta get some more glyphosate!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  2. vestaviascott

Cutting down 8 foot weed stalks with the 18v cordless torque monster from CORE power. This time in HD

3. Champion6sigma

Champion6sigma LawnSite Member
    Male, from Texas

Looks impressive.

4. vestaviascott

That 8' stalk at the end of the last video took a couple shots to fell. The most impressive thing about this CORE motor is the torque is insane for the size of the motor. The entire motor is only a inch tall. Looks like it the Millennium Falcon of motors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  5. Champion6sigma

Male, from Texas

I want one now....I already have an electric 40 volt dewalt...but after seeing the CORE videos, yours and others, I'd love to try out the thing. Core uses thicker line and has ability to change out the heads. Its one of those things that once you get part of the system..it makes sense to get the whole system...they even have a 4pack battery backpack thing....crazy!!! CORE has some great looking things and beautiful spokesmodel sales girl on youtube.

If I didn't have a complete lineup of dewalt tools and their batteries it would be easier to change.

I don't electric all the time.

6. vestaviascott

The CORE motor technology has been bought out by MTD, so I'm not certain of the future of the company. Perhaps it was just an IP acquisition to utilize/license the motor technology exclusively. No word in the press release of details about the purchase.

Interestingly, the original company still exists and the products are still being sold under the "CORE products" brand on Amazon.

The exact same motor is being used on the Cub Cadet 18v line of OPE. A larger, higher volt version of this motor is being used for the TroyBilt 40v line of OPE sold through LOWES home improvement centers nationwide.

One thing I like about the TB 40v trimmer is the bump head has a wrap guard that seals the gap between the motor and the head. This helps prevent weeds tangling around the upper motor shaft.

It will be interesting to follow the release and market response to the TroyBilt products. The trimmer and the lawm mower in particular appear to be very solid launches.

7. Champion6sigma

Male, from Texas

Ill check out the lowes troy bilt thanks!

8. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Let 8" of 2.7mm line out each side and then video it!

9. vestaviascott

Hi there Mickhippy. Australia = bucket list.

Interesting. I'm guessing you are betting on a major fail? Don't think the little 18v CORE motor is up to the challenge, eh? If I can get the guard off easy enough, I may give it a go just for kicks

:)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  10. HEMTT

HEMTT LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Redmond, WA

With a replacement battery cost of $100, no thanks, I'll stick with gas. It isn't even lighter than a gasoline trimmer.