1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Brush cutting with 18v cordless trimmer

Discussion in 'Alternative Fuel Forum' started by vestaviascott, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

I seriously have my doubts!

2. HEMTT

HEMTT LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Redmond, WA

It only allows about 5" inches per side of line right now, taking that to 8" should seriously tax that little motor, no matter how cleverly its designed. Besides, the title says "brush cutting", that isn't brush! Believe me I know what it takes to cut brush, I have a 340lb 13hp walk behind model and a hand portable one made by Stihl. That little toy will NEVER cut brush, you must work for them.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  3. Champion6sigma

Champion6sigma LawnSite Member
    Male, from Texas

The troybilt design is very different. Has electronic auto adjustment of torque.electronic torque and battery display....weird looking line head...and is heavier than the true core model u got. Power is supposed to be great. Its about 300 with tax. Troybilt has a conplete core powered lineup including mower and blower. Wonder how the core model compares directly to the troybilt. I have a feeling troybilt made it cheaper somehow and the auto torque power and display seems like just one more thing that can fail. I sort of dont like it when tools get to hightech. Like the dewalt batteries which have bluetooth to connect and give u updates. What next a trimmer run by wifi that reminds u to cut your yard ? Lol. I love that motor though. I do want to test it against the dewalt

4. vestaviascott

vestaviascott LawnSite Member

Yes, the TroyBilt unit is different. The motor, however, is identical but for the voltage difference.

If you prefer the simplicity of the CORE branded units, they are still selling them through Amazon.com and a few other independent outlets.

I like the fact the the TB unit has a battery status indicator, the CORE branded units do not have this feature so you will not know the battery is drained until it stops.

I also like the bump head design on the TB a bit better. It has a much larger spacer at the top which doubles duty as both a thrust plate and weed wrap guard. The CORE branded unit has a much smaller piece that only serves as a thrust plate spacer between the motor shaft and the bump head. Both are plastic and are possible fail points in the design. I can see them potentially cracking if the bump head strikes something causing it to stop rotation.

5. Champion6sigma

Male, from Texas

Did u watch the video on the ecomode. Interesting. Good points on the comparison. I still havent seen in person. Justonline. And read reviews. Mostly great reviews.

6. Champion6sigma

Male, from Texas

Can u change the head type on troy bilt?

7. vestaviascott

I'm not sure which video. Link? Which points specifically? I know the unit has two speed settings, they change the output head rotation from 5000 rpms to 7000 rpms. I just use the lower setting which is default and like the extra torque it provides vs the higher speed, lower torque setting.

You can change bump heads on both units. Here are a few pics of each:

Core Head with black plastic thrush plate

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TroyBilt Head & Thrust Plate

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Champion6sigma

Male, from Texas

Might be on lowes website on pictures the video I saw. The trimmer will speed up or increase torque based on what it senses. No user input necessary on troybilt. Then there is a boost mode . Eco mode or boost I believe I read.

9. vestaviascott

Apparently Hitachi has a similar motor technology. The call it a "Disc Motor". Here's a pretty neat video on Youtube showing the motor's internals while spinning up inside a transparent casing:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016