• PPP The Second Time Around
    The Emergency Coronavirus Relief Act of 2020 passed in December contained $284 billion for the renewed Paycheck Protection Program (PPP). Click here to read the article.

Buckthron

Rock&Snow

LawnSite Member
:waving: I'm new and just started and having a blast. My first job is cleaning up some woods that is packed with buck thorn, which the owner wants removed and hauled away. What is the best way to get rid of buck thorn and do you need to pull the roots out and everything or just start chopping.payup

1MajorTom

Former Moderator
buckthorn is very labor intensive to remove. just cutting it down will result in vigorous resprouting if no other control measures are implemented. you need to do some research online to see what you are getting into, before taking this job.

olderthandirt

LawnSite Platinum Member
Rock&Snow said:
:waving: I'm new and just started and having a blast. My first job is cleaning up some woods that is packed with buck thorn, which the owner wants removed and hauled away. What is the best way to get rid of buck thorn and do you need to pull the roots out and everything or just start chopping.payup
Roots and all need to come out, a good long tooth root ripper on the front of a tractor or skid works well to push them up and get under the roots to pop them out. After that you will need to spray for any reamaining that will pop up, unless your planting grass. The grass will smother most of what would sprout and the constant mowing will kill the rest.

tiedeman

LawnSite Fanatic
Rock&Snow said:
welcome to the site by the way

rodfather

LawnSite Fanatic
What's buck thorn...is that anything like multifloral rose? That stuff is nasty to say the least btw.

chimmygew

LawnSite Senior Member
Your welcome.:)