1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Building a large scale IBC compost tea brewer

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by davidgsmit, Jun 7, 2017.

1. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

hort101 and oqueoque like this.
  2. oqueoque

oqueoque LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Jersey

Have you used, or do you know anyone, who has used Tim Wilson's Poorboy Microbulator?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
    hort101 likes this.
  3. phasthound

Yes, that was one of the brewers I used. Innovative design, worked well, relatively easy to clean. I liked it a lot. Tim provided a very comprehensive CD with instructions on assembly, recipes and cleaning instructions. He also used to sell microscopes and an instructive CD to help you identify microbes.

hort101 and oqueoque like this.
  4. davidgsmit

davidgsmit LawnSite Member

Glad to see you reference this page as that's exactly where I started this project months ago! I found it to be a great resource but lost track of it so it was nice to read it again. Turns out I nailed everything other than the amount of compost; i used a little over half of his recommendation. I will pick up a microscope and check my work! Thanks

oqueoque and hort101 like this.
  5. phasthound

See if you can contact Tim. He can give you recommendations for a good scope and was always willing to help. There was a chat room for AACT but I haven't been on it in years.

hort101 likes this.
  6. WIgolfsuper

WIgolfsuper LawnSite Member

We have a 450 gallon brewer we made and it works great. I have some pics on my other phone that I will up load. Really a cool sight to see it working. About 25 ft tall. Also, our air circulation pump was $1200 and has an amazing amount of CFM for a pump the size of a 12 pack.

phasthound and ed2hess like this.
  7. phasthound

Nice! That's a lot of tea, what are you applying it on...turf, crops?

hort101 likes this.
  8. WIgolfsuper

WIgolfsuper LawnSite Member

We use it in our 3rd and 5th rounds on residential turf. We sell it as an organic based application. Ton of beneficial bacteria in there for the soil. We hand a bag about half way down the tank. It's filled with 2/3 full with compost and topped off with dried kelp. Then we finish it off with a quart of molasses of feed the newly formed bacteria and 6 lbs of wettable powder iron. We us this in hottest part of the season for use and as a winterizer application. We make just under 20,000 gallons a year.

ed2hess and hort101 like this.
  9. phasthound

Sounds great. Do you use a microscope to check out the microbes?
    I also added humates for 2 reasons; it instantly neutralized chlorinated water and it encourages fungal growth.