Building a shop

mowerbrad

LawnSite Fanatic
I've been toying around with the idea to purchase some property in my area and build a shop on it and do a little farming (eventually would like to grow pumpkins and sell those in the fall again). Lately I've been getting a lot more serious about it. I've found a few plots of land, one of which has really stuck out to me. I've been looking for something around 5+ acres in size so I would have plenty of room to do build, potentially dump leaves and grass on site and maybe even build a house on there several years down the road. But I want to make sure that it is zoned agriculture and not residential so I can do everything that I want to do in there.

I've been looking at Rhino pre-engineered steel buildings. They have some decent prices and some real nice options that I like. Since I won't have completely unlimited funds, I won't be able to build my ideal shop all at once. I would like to build a 50'x60'x12' shop (maybe 14' tall depending on prices) but be able to expand the shop a little if/when I need more space. I won't nearly fill up the shop with my current equipment, but I would like as much space as I could get. I mainly want it to be wide enough that I can park my truck and trailer in there without having to unhook and be able to have one complete drive through bay.

I almost always have something going on, so it would be nice to have my own shop that is heated, so I am able to work on things during the winter. Right now, I am limited to a 3-stall garage and shed at home, neither of which have heat, so once it gets cold outside (November-April) I really don't have any ambition to finish any of my projects or work on my equipment.

So I guess what I'm looking for is ideas from guys who have built their shops regarding what prices they have seen out there for guys to assemble the buildings, pour concrete and what options they like/wished they had on their own shops.

Thanks for the responses! :waving:

SouthSide Cutter

LawnSite Bronze Member
When you get prices, check on different length and height. Two ft on lumber height or length sometimes isnt anything. And 2-4ft sometimes makes a big difference.

I built mine 12ft because thats what they said, should have been 14. Cant get a big camper in. And a car hoist works better with the extra height. I put plastic and 3" foam under the whole floor. It will never freeze down here with no heat.

The drive thru is the way to go. Put a drain in to wash vehicles. I put a bath, shower, kitchen, washer and dryer, heat and air and a tv.

I had extra overhang put on and wish I would have put a small roof over the side door. I couldnt really build mine the way I wanted because of my lot and space. If I could do it again it would be 3 bays, one drive thru and then a heated work bay, with the bath etc.

THIESSENS TLC

LawnSite Bronze Member
How come you put a bath, shower, kitchen, & laundry in there? I can understand the tv & heat, but not the rest? Just wonderin, that's all.
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
mowerbrad

mowerbrad

LawnSite Fanatic
I have thought about this a lot so I do have a clue what I want, its just the matter of getting prices and figuring out an exact budget.

The drive-thru bay will be set up as a wash bay as well. I would like to have one or two other roll-up doors as well (hopefully have the drive-thru doors be automatic and the other door or two be manual lift with provisions to be able to be automativ easily).

I've been thinking about some of the the translucent panels on the roof to help light the shop and cut down on electric costs. I will make sure that the concrete floor is insulated or if price is okay, have provisions made so it can be heated if I choose to heat the floor too. The shop will be heated and again have provisions made to have A/C installed later on down the line if I choose to do that (highly doubt it though). There will be plenty of fans to keep air circulation good.

I've been considering putting a bathroom in there if the price doesn't jump too much, but I'm afraid it will be too much and I don't want to spend that much.

I would like to frame up a little "office" space in the corner of the shop, at least put a desk, couch, etc. in there so I have some place to relax.

Security is going to be a big thing for me since I won't be there all the time, I would like to keep things secure. Plenty of outdoor lights, good locks, etc.

It will be nice to have some extra space. I don't really have a time frame as to when I build it, I'm hoping next spring I can start really getting quotes together from area contractors and some building manufacturers.

I really have no idea what concrete is going for these days, so I'm really in need of figuring that cost.

StanWilhite

LawnSite Silver Member
How come you put a bath, shower, kitchen, & laundry in there? I can understand the tv & heat, but not the rest? Just wonderin, that's all.
Posted via Mobile Device
Maybe he's tired of sleeping in his truck every time "Mama" kicks him out! :)

LindblomRJ

LawnSite Silver Member
If the extra 2 foot of wall height isn't cost prohibitive then yes it would be a good idea. The idea of an office, with break area and bathroom/shower is a prudent feature.

Insulate 1/2, 3/4 or all of the building. Cold Storage of seasonal equipment is good. In doing so you can save on heating costs if you do a portion. Or insulate it all and heat part, put up an insulated divider or whatever.

In the shop area electric and air outlets every 10 foot or so would be handy.

Personally I'd keep the wash area outside if at all possible. If space is an issue that would be the first thing I'd consider dropping. That is a preference for me.

With the addition of an office/break area, build some steps to have storage above that area and gain some useful space. (store handhelds off season, parts or whatever up there.

SouthSide Cutter

LawnSite Bronze Member
Posted via Mobile Device
Wash all my cloths from work and shower before going in house. Have alot of winter, summer cook outs with hunting buddies and we can everything from the garden. And if anyone comes to town have extra space for alot of people.

SouthSide Cutter

LawnSite Bronze Member
One thing you might look at. Is the way some mount the garage doors now. They arch the roof trusses and have the doors go up the arch which really gives more space without the height. And I dont think I would put any sky lights in. All the ones I have seen leak over time. Now some do put them up at the top on the walls but this doesnt go good with heating and cooling. I lined mine with white metal and it doesnt take to many lights to brighten it up.

plowmaster07

LawnSite Member
Very interested to see/ hear how this goes! Best of luck!

LindblomRJ

LawnSite Silver Member
Skylights are the maintenance issue on many of these buildings. If you get hail, they are the first thing to break. Or they tend to leak after a while. Usually around here hail knocks them out.

I'd have overhead doors for shop area and storage area. The other option that might be better is sliding doors. It boils down to preference.