Building a trailer for tools only, anyone done it?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by JLSLLC, Dec 31, 2017.

1. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

I want to make a dedicated open tandem trailer my mobile toolbox/shop. Still tossing the plans around, would like to hear thoughts.

I hate not having all my tools on the spot. Period. Small repairs to large. Space is tight as I am looking to find another house. I am also in the process of building up a mechanic business with someone, and I want to have what's needed for mobile services from trucks to equipment. I have access to another shop ATM

Reason why I want a trailer and not a utility body is for moving equipment or stock, buy and sell. I could go on.

I have left a few good details out I'm sure, but wanted to get this thread started.

Happy new year, best wishes

larryinalabama likes this.
  2. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Why not just get a cargo van?

JLSLLC likes this.
  3. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

It's an option, I like the versatility of the trailer, and it can be hooked up to other trucks, have a winch, ramps, we had to tow a vehicle last week, could of fixed it with the tools on hand, or worst case tow home

larryinalabama likes this.
  4. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I reciently picked up a tire changer and wheel balancer, both are way to heavy too use in a mobile business.
    Im hoping next fall to do alot more mechanic work.

5. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

How much did they cost? Nice grab! Not looking for anything like that, but a welder, oxy/ac torch, bench, compressor, vice, jack etc you know what i mean lol

hort101 likes this.
  6. UpNorthMowing

UpNorthMowing LawnSite Fanatic
    from Ontario

I am not sure if you can have Oxy/ac on a trailer, would that be against some sort of rules?

I have not seen that around here, does not mean that you cant do it, just haven't seen it.

JLSLLC likes this.
  7. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

Good point, might not be able too. Scratch that

8. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

This is still the early phase. Not doing anything until spring at least. Or baby steps

Rick L and UpNorthMowing like this.
  9. UpNorthMowing

UpNorthMowing LawnSite Fanatic
    from Ontario

Having a plan is the most important first step !

Rick L and JLSLLC like this.
  10. Rick L

Rick L LawnSite Member

Keep it clean and organize and put a light over the work bench helps a lot when working or look for stuff leaned that from a chef went in his basement had light over work bench found what we needed a lot quicker, paper towel holder a good one metal not plastic have one in my shed metal works great

hort101 likes this.