Building leaf box on regular trailer...

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Fresh_Cut, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Fresh_Cut

Fresh_Cut LawnSite Senior Member

Need ideas & suggestions for building the box and unloading it (not a dump trailer).

5x10 trailer
    Billy Goat TR1304H

2. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Silver Member

15 years ago before I had a dump trailer I had taken one of our lawn maintenance trailers and made sturdy wood sides that were roughly 5' high. Made a Conestoga wagon style top with 3/4" pvc pipe and stretched a mesh tarp over the top to let the vacuum forced air breathe.

Now to get the leaves out I had a pair of pallets bolted together that were leaned up against the front wall of the trailer with a long rope tied through the center of the conjoined pallets. The rope was stretched all the way to the back door of the trailer and was coiled up with at least 5-10' coiled. Once I got to the local dumps (they always had a steel pole in the ground) I would back up to the pole, open barn doors and take the rope that was buried in the back of the trailer and throw the loop around the pole. While pulling forward with the truck it would pull the pallets out and the load would follow.

This plan didn't work if I didn't have at least a 1/2 full load.

3. RDALawns

RDALawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Texas

Your not going to be able to haul much on a 5x10 trailer.

KUMA01 and Fresh_Cut like this.
  4. Smith Lawn & Landscaping

Smith Lawn & Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I built one years ago on a 6×12 platform worked ok. I had 2 ft mesh sides and built the box around that and made barn doors about a foot prior to the gate that would swing open. Don' use anything smaller then 3/4 ply for the walls it will bow out. I mounted the loader on a bracket we welded to the front and discharged through a small hole around the plywood.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

6. MowDaddy

MowDaddy LawnSite Fanatic

Here is my vac, trailer setup.
    In this pic I'm just blowing it into woods. This was just befor I finished trailer. At the peak of trailer I cut a hole for chute to blow into , the small square hole at lower left I cut out bigger. 24" x 32" that installed a cleanout door. When trailer is full I open the door turn chute to compost pile and just vacume out trailer. The back ramps are expanded metal so it gets air flow when filling. Trailer is 7' x 12'.
    Holds well over 3000 lbs leaves.
    Takes about 20 minutes to vacume out.

1472565225347-30775866.jpg

JaekayDesign, Fresh_Cut and ltdlawn like this.
  7. MowDaddy

This is 2 yrs ago after trailer and vac was up and running. I had vacuumed up on on far side of drive. Now getting ready to to pullup and start this side. 20161102_140101.jpg

Doc8406, Fresh_Cut and ltdlawn like this.
  8. MowDaddy

And here is my new leaf plow, can push mountains of leafs with it. 20171018_171435.jpg

Doc8406, Blainethompson and ltdlawn like this.
  9. jlbf0786

jlbf0786 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Charlotte, NC

Mow-Daddy, nicely done! I like the ingenuity.
    I've considered buying a dump trailer and leaf loader but I swear there's just not enough money in it for me to put that much into it. For now, we're blowing into natural areas and I guess we're going to just do 1 or 2 final cleanup jobs for each property in a few wks once the leaves are all down. bagging leaves sucks, so we'll probably just have to blow them up and load them on the utility trailer with a tarp on them.

10. ltdlawn

ltdlawn LawnSite Platinum Member

First postx2
    Also once your box is full drive around the block and it will settle leaving more room to pack. I've seen 2400lbs pulled out of a 6.5x12 with pallet trick. You'll get close to a ton. 4ft play on top of rails with arched mesh tarp.

Fresh_Cut likes this.