Buisness name

ConnerM

LawnSite Member
Whats up im new to this site but have been on plowsite for some months now and have been doing lawncare and snow removal for 2-3 years now. Im going to college fulltime and do landscaping fulltime once april starts but im hoping on starting a lawncare and snow removal buisness. starting out small of course and part-time outside of my work, i work monday thru thursday and this summer all i want to do is pickup a few yards to mow with my 22 friday thru sunday. hopefully get 5 or 10 yards my first summer but im wondering what my buisness name should be? Im thinking of calling it Straight forward lawncare & snow removal because i offer straight forward service at a straight forward price. Im just wondering if this semes like a good name in the short-run and long-run

GreenI.A.

LawnSite Silver Member
Are 5-10 yards going to pay you enough to cover over head? It seems like general liability insurance alone would eatup most of your revenue. As far as the name, I think it is to gimmicky, could be a good tagline to add on after the name though

OP
C

ConnerM

LawnSite Member
well i dont think im going to get insurance. im not a full fledged buisness and im not doing this day in and day out just starting small. I was thinking of possibly getting insurance once I get 15 or so lawns which i dont expect to get this year anyways. im planning on justt spending probably one day a week maybe two mowing nieghbors lawns but that is if im lucky enough to get enought people. Does not having insurance seem to risky if im just small time

GreenI.A.

LawnSite Silver Member
What are you going to do if you accidently hit a rock while trimming and it goes through a window or sliding glass door? The cost to replace these will cost you more than a couple of years worth of general liabilty insurance premiums will. How about hitting a rock and chipping the paint on a customers car? A quality repair may cost more than the insurance would have. Do you think the customer will let you have your "buddy" who will cut you a deal fix it? More than likely they are going to want it fixed by someone expensive. How about hitting a rock and having it hit a kid walking buy on the sidewalk? Can you afford to pay the medical bills? Because God forbid it was to happen here is what will go down. His medical insurance will find out he got hit by a rock thrown from a lawn mower, they will pass the blame onto the homeowner and their homeowner's insurance. The homeowner and their insurance are not going to pay for it, they are going to pass it right onto you. If you don't have general Liability you will be stuck paying that bill for a long time. Think it can't happen to you? The happen all the time. An even worse scenario, what about a lawsuit if the rock to the head kills the kid?

Does your state require commercial auto insurance and commercial registration? Even if the state doesn't require it, will your auto insurance cover your vehicle if it is being used for commercial purposes. Most insurance companies will deny the claim. I have told the story here of a guy I know that lost control of his personally insured truck in a rainstorm and crashed into a lexus dealership. He caused hundreds of thousands of dollars in damage. The police saw his equipment and put 2+2 together and put in their report that he had landscape equipment. Insurance denied his claim and he was sued by the dealership, this then threw up red flags and he was audited by the IRS. He ended up loosing everything and him and his wife ended up on probation for tax fraud.

PDXLandscape

LawnSite Member
The name itself is not as important as the image or brand you build around it. That being said, there are a number of things to consider if you will be doing any online marketing. For example, shorter is usually better since most people do not like to type long names. Since your biz is based in a local area, including the area name in the business names will be a huge advantage in promoting locally.